UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

engine oil

Old 07-29-2015, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helix ultra a good deal though at £30 notes but only 5 litres and need 6 .

Got to make my mind up !

Thanks for the info

Dave
Old 07-29-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd personally rather an a brand of oil manufacturers use from the factory such as Shell, Castrol or Petronas over an oil no OE manufacturer uses (Motul).
Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 AM

It’s all a personal preferences really. I wouldn’t say there is much in it with what brand of oil manufacturers use from the factory compare to what you can purchase from the high streets or online.

People will stick by with what oil manufacturers use from the factory, but then again I wouldn’t say Motul isn’t a known brand. Plus Motul never done any harm on my EVO VI and it was recommended from a well know tuner in the EVO scene.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reddave

Got to make my mind up !

Thanks for the info

Dave
You won't need 6 litres, these only take 5 for a full change. I've stuck with the opie deal for a while now as you can get 2 x 5l and 2 x 1l for top ups between changes. Works out really well

Might be worth looking at petronas for that price though, I've not used Motul since i had my 200sx a while back, always seemed a bit pricey back then but it's a but more in line now. Came recommended by AP Tuning who I suspect are the same people that recommended it to JW for his Evo.

Just as a comparison, Shell with OEM filter works out at about £38 give or take a little bit
Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by CynicG
Anyone know of any good deals going at the moment?

I've been away from Castrol for a while but fancy giving it ago again as it was good stuff, but not at nearly 60 notes for 5L. Interesting comments about Shell. Could be worth a go at half the price.
Can't complain about it for the money. I always used to run Titan Pro S race which was £50 a change + filter. I'm now at half that with the Helix and i've not noticed any ill effects, still performs well on track in terms of holding pressure and it's not burning any more than it ever did with the Fuchs. Certainly worth a punt!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:57 AM

I believe this is good stuff. been using their oils for 30 years in bikes and cars http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/

My bro in law has his own car repair business which has been going for 28 years and he uses nothing else
Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by reddave' timestamp='1438163809' post='23696527

Got to make my mind up !

Thanks for the info

Dave
You won't need 6 litres, these only take 5 for a full change. I've stuck with the opie deal for a while now as you can get 2 x 5l and 2 x 1l for top ups between changes. Works out really well

Might be worth looking at petronas for that price though, I've not used Motul since i had my 200sx a while back, always seemed a bit pricey back then but it's a but more in line now. Came recommended by AP Tuning who I suspect are the same people that recommended it to JW for his Evo.

Just as a comparison, Shell with OEM filter works out at about £38 give or take a little bit

HaHa spot on Rob "Came recommended by AP Tuning who I suspect are the same people that recommended it to JW for his Evo." But also Ross Sport too.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:50 AM

Can you mix brands of oil?

i.e. I have an engine full of synth Castrol Edge 10-60 in my other car, but was only able to got some Shell Helix Ultra stuff (also synth) for a top up. Dealer suggested that mixing was alright, and I presume that that is right, at least so long as you still to synth, mineral, semi etc.

Anyone disagree or have a view generally?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by JMRGV
Can you mix brands of oil?

i.e. I have an engine full of synth Castrol Edge 10-60 in my other car, but was only able to got some Shell Helix Ultra stuff (also synth) for a top up. Dealer suggested that mixing was alright, and I presume that that is right, at least so long as you still to synth, mineral, semi etc.

Anyone disagree or have a view generally?
As long as they're of a comparable grade and quality i personally don't see a problem with mixing them, especially if it's only for topping up. After all any oil is better than no oil. (Although with higher grades etc it's maybe not as true now as it used to be)
Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 AM

I still don't understand why the OP wants 10w-30 for the S?

Quick Reply: engine oil