UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What is the s2000 like in 2018?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the s2000 like in 2018?

Hello All

I had a s2000 years ago for 5 months, and i remember it very fondly, however back then i never really appreciated the car nor understood to much about handling characteristics etc

fast forward to 2018 and i have since had no end of high perfomance cars and currently am driving a Audi R8 v10 Plus (550 bhp) have had m5's, rs4's etc etc

The audi is great but is losing money like nothing else and i dont drive it often. IT seems crazy but i am more than happy to let it go. I want to find a car that is fun on track and on the road at weekends and so on.

I went and sat in a local car for sale yesterday s2k, was a forum car too (sticker in window)

I cant believe how small they are inside, but they still look really nice and the inside is a nice place to be. I know it sounds silly but after all these high perfomance german cars i quite like the idea of going back to basics.

I am thinking to get a s2000 and supercharge it or buy one already done.

how do you guys find the s2000 in 2018? I see quite a lot of people happy to sell up.

At 12k -20k for a supercharged car you are knocking on e90 m3 money. Any comparisons?

cheers
Ross
Old 02-19-2018, 01:02 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

What is the s2000 like in 2018?

Same as it ever was, just older.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

I have a supercharged s2000 and an E92. There is no comparison in driving experience terms regardless of what the motoring press tell

My​​​ SC car is lowered and a very raw driving experience, no TC and that sort of power sharpens your senses where the M3 has TC, a fat ass and is much more suited to munching long distances than it is to say hooning round a track

Different horses

If you fancy a kit car or lightweight you'd like a charged S2, otherwise then.. otherwise
Old 02-19-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The S2000 is a very raw experience compared to what you are used to, so make sure you're happy stepping back so far in terms of being cosseted.

I personally love it, and enjoy ringing it's neck, where you HAVE to be in the VTEC zone for it to feel even remotely "fast". Some people hate that and don't "get" the F20C engine, which has to be "thrashed" to get the best out of it.

Below 6000rpm, it quite frankly hasn't got the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding, but on the right road with the roof down, it is simply joyous where other cars are inert and un-involving.....

In 2018, almost all new cars are now turbo-charged, so the S2000 is going to feel gutless by comparison to almost any modern turbo car you care to mention, so it really depends on how you like to drive if you're going to enjoy it.

On track it needs all the usual mods that any car needs for this kind of work, but properly set up, they are SO much fun (albeit slow).
Old 02-19-2018, 01:59 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I wouldn't describe the low down rpm performance as gutless. The S2000 will happily sit at and pull from 30mph in 5th gear. My Golf GTI DSG uses 4th.

The lack of lag is lovely, too, something from which all comparable modern turbos suffer.

Obviously, it's more fun in VTEC but given today's crowded and speed camera'd roads, it's fun to get up to a speed using vtec, but then stick it into 6th and not slow down for corners. Handling is actually the most fun part of the car for me these days.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Same as it has always been, not very fast, tricky handling, very noisy and extremely cramped.

However I just adore it, it has a special ingredient that it is very hard to put your finger on. It is a drivers car through and through, the thrill of driving is not always about going crazy speeds. it is that 'feeling' that some cars have and some cars do not.
Personally I think forced induction spoils the essence of the S2000 but I can understand why people do it.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tozerman
Same as it has always been, not very fast, tricky handling, very noisy and extremely cramped.

However I just adore it, it has a special ingredient that it is very hard to put your finger on. It is a drivers car through and through, the thrill of driving is not always about going crazy speeds. it is that 'feeling' that some cars have and some cars do not.
Personally I think forced induction spoils the essence of the S2000 but I can understand why people do it.
Totally agree with every comment and sentiment and is exactly how I feel .
Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[left]

Couldn’t have put it better
Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

^agreed.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Agree.

Quick Reply: What is the s2000 like in 2018?