UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Temptation to jump ship...

Old 08-29-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Temptation to jump ship...

I've always loved the S, there is no other car that ticked the right boxes in terms of driver experience. It's raw and enjoyable. I always thought it would take something highly unique to sway me away.
That something came this summer in the form of Audi's 2017 RS3 Sportback. The aggressive stance, quattro all wheel drive, 400PS, 2.5 cylinder turbo block - beast. The noise this thing makes is orgasmic.

44k OTR, and it's yours to have.Don't get me wrong, that's insanely high for just a hatchback. But is it just a hatchback? I don't think it is, and that's what's attracting me the most. Leave out the two tone alloy option, and the car looks standard to the untrained eye; much like the E60 M5 compared to its subordinates, there's something about the RS3 like a wolf in sheeps clothing - and it is so appealing.

It probably won't handle the like the S, but for a person who doesn't track at all and drives majority of times on A roads and motorways, does it really matter..
From a technology perspective it offers an abundance of features as standard that the S doesn't have: virtual cockpit, touch sensitive controls, voice recognition..
I'm in some sort of dilemma. Do I jump ship to the RS3 because of, lets face it, the sheer power, advanced tech, and practicality. Or do I stay in one of the best raw handling cars that the motor industry has had on offer.

Let's take money out of the equation for a second, what is your view on this? Not that the following vid is biased...

Old 08-29-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say test drive it and then see if you really like it.

Or you'll see how the S2000 is the one and only and stays with it....
Old 08-29-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

Faster than it is fun says it all. Chasing numbers is a mugs game, chase grin factor and get a caterham

Audi RS3 review - is the Audi RS3 the ultimate hyper hatch? | Evo
Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If it suits your requirements better than get one.

I can't ever sell my S now as it's not worth it's sum of parts so it just sits in the garage, ready to give the ultimate grin if needed.

I started off with a shitty beater as a daily, now I've mentally written off the money the S could bring if I parted and sold I'm considering the M2.

Great little cars all of them IMO.

Last edited by E4RTH WORM JIM; 09-03-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd be worried about the high volumes stolen to be honest. Fast Audis are a typical criminal choice.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Fast Audis are a typical criminal choice.
They are the car of choice for another unsavoury group in society too. You should get one, G
Old 08-30-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
They are the car of choice for another unsavoury group in society too. You should get one, G
Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited ages for this to come out, only to find the predicted residuals are really crap - and therefore the PCP is massively high. Gonna knock that on the head then. Wicked car though!
Old 08-31-2017, 02:01 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Funny I thought of Chippo the second I read that.
Of all the dentists of my acquaintance all 5 drive Audis, is that what you meant?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:09 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
If it suits your requirements better than get one.

I can't ever sell my S now as it's not worth it's some of parts so it just sit in the garage, ready to give the ultimate grin if needed.

I started of with a shitty beater as a daily, now I've mentally written off the money the S could bring if I parted and sold I'm considering the M1.

Great little cars all of them IMO.
LOL, my S fits absolutely none of my "requirements" , but satisfies all of my desires, my wife is forever telling my it's impractical and I should get rid of it, one day she will say that once too often.

A little while ago I put a laminate floor down in my home office and had to order some special scotia strip from a shop 20 miles away, as the day came to pick it up the missus was going to be in the area and volunteered to get it, she came home empty handed and red faced, she couldn't get it in her Fleaester, not so impractical when you can put the roof down.

Quick Reply: Temptation to jump ship...