UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Excessive oil consumption - high mileage

Old 09-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excessive oil consumption - high mileage

So I'm just about to clock 153k, and have been noticing the oil consumption has been readily increasing over the past few months. For reference, I'm on a 51 plate, facelift.
Like many of the other earlier models, it's always used a bit of oil,, probably around 1 dipsticks worth every 1000-1200 miles. The car has been getting a bit smokey when warm, mostly when pulling away from 1st or if you put your foot down, but it's not that noticeable when moving.. at least not from the mirrors.

I took a trip up to Silverstone on the weekend for the Ferrari 70th Anniversary (I was the only S I saw there!) which was a round trip of circa 250miles. I checked and topped my oil prior to leaving to around 3/4 full, and checked again the next day after an additional 10 miles for work. Upon inspection, I had consumed all oil and was just below the L on the dipstick
Naturally, I got to a shop and bought more oil asap.

There are no obvious leaks (other than a slight dribble from the crankshaft hex at the top - just need a new o ring), so the car is definitely burning it. Exhausts are getting sooted more than usual too.
I've cleaned the PCV valve and sprayed lots of carb cleaner into the intake, but is there anything else I can do or can check? I'm going to get a leak test done, and have already had a compression test (which was fine apparently).

I have a K&N Gen2 kit installed, but the person whom I bought it from on here (I won't name names), didn't supply all of the bits, so one of the hoses had to be made from a garden hose. I've resecured this just in case (it's the inlet hose from the main intake into the head) but seems to do the job. I'm not sure if this is of any relevance.

I'm concerned that it's piston or valve seals, which if it is, I guess I'm looking at a rebuild/new car. Any advise on what I can check/clean greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a leak down and compression check that'll let you know. What were the compression figures?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:10 PM

I forgot to ask for the readout of the compression, but was told that they were all within spec and that the mechanic was quite impressed how good they all were.

I'm going to try a local garage to get a leak down done, but failing that, have it penciled in for TGM to do at the weekend.

Edit: I should add, oil being used is Castrol Edge 5-40. TGM have advised to try some 10-60 to see if this helps, but naturally won't solve the problem, just mask/delay it if at all.

Last edited by champion_hero; 09-26-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

If it is the valve stem oil seals ( and I'm not saying it is) they can be replaced in-situ with an air compressor and a special tool https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...nt-diy-1170027
Old 09-26-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Valve stem seal can be contributing to usage but if it's using that amount of oil and you have no obvious leaks then it's more than likely the oil control rings, these and valve stem seals and or wear of both won't show up on compression or leak down tests
Old 09-27-2017, 04:20 AM

I had another thought over lunch, have you checked your crank case breathers / PCV valve - if the PCV system is faulty you can get increased oil consumption
Old 09-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I had another thought over lunch, have you checked your crank case breathers / PCV valve - if the PCV system is faulty you can get increased oil consumption
See above
The following users liked this post:
BenRNBP (09-28-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If you exhaust is that noticeably smokey, it's almost certainly what Ray say.

You'll be poisoning the cat too.

Depending what the micrometer says about the bores, you might be able to get away with a re-ring and bore hone, but frankly, that's gonna be expensive on such an old engine. And do you look at the crank/bearing shells, whilst it's all in bits? Etc...
Old 09-28-2017, 12:06 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by s2konroids
See above
Ooops missed that bit
Old 09-28-2017, 04:29 AM

Thanks for the additional feedback guys. I'm going to give everything another once over. The PCV sounded fine before and after a clean (rattle), but the make-shift hose did look a bit oily so I wonder if it is getting into the intake system somehow. I need to have a look at the throttle body to see if that is getting oiled up or not. Are there any other tubes/valves coming out that I should check to ensure they are not blocked etc?

As you say though Nick, if it is rings, I may as well get everything done if it's coming out, but at that cost, I could be looking at ending my love affair with the car sadly, as could probably get a newer vehicle (although quite what I'm unsure, as there aren't many cars I actually like out there!)

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption - high mileage