UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust/Manifold...

Old 08-31-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1440972499' post='23731544
[quote name='RobAp1' timestamp='1440961126' post='23731390']
You won't be able to safely run a full system with manifold unless you change your management/ecu and get it mapped to up fuelling a bit. Earlier cars run a bit richer but a cat back system with or without decat and an intake is the most you could really get away with on a stock edu without affecting the afr too much
Pure b0llocks.
Instead of just pitching in with something like that, would you care to back up your comment?!

The only reason i wrote that is that it's what i'd surmised from threads i'd found on here when i was looking at running a decat/manifold on my stock management. Yes it'll run but would you not risk running lean? And re: the engine damper, surely you'd be better of fitting stiffer engine mounts to tackle the root cause rather than trying to prevent it with further parts?

Maybe you've had more/different experience with bolt on parts but to just dismiss something as bollocks and give no reason doesn't fill me with confidence!
[/quote]

You can run aftermarket header decat and zorst without the need for a map. Just need to have the Afr checked and or have a gauge monitoring afr. I had a full aftermarket exhaust system with no ems. It only went a little lean above 8k rpm. But I agree a ems would be best case scenario.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

My experience of aftermarket exhaust has been dire , the HKS I had was so bad the drone hurt at around 3000rpm and my son is now on about his 3rd to date every one has droned.

Poor design I presume , have to laugh at the comments re- guarding the Stainless Steel, 304 grade wow , that's the cheapest crap , stick it on a boat and watch it rust , stick it in a lift in a housing block and watch the urine rot it .
Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With aftermarket exhausts just be aware that many drone between certain revs which is just plain annoying. I had an Invidia Q300 on the car when I bought it and albeit it sounded great at tick over and when running up and down the gears with full throttle..the drone at part throttle on longer journeys was awful and it had to go.

I am now running an OEM catback which was always only a temporary measure with having settled on buying Tanabe Medallion Touring as its replacement, this exhaust seems to be the perfect aftermarket exhaust without any drone but still has a bit of character through the revs.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 AM

thanks again all for the input...

Raffe... I was going to ask if anyone had the Invidia Q300.

That and the Tanabe Concept G exhaust... anyone have/had one of these?

Out of interest Raffe... should the Tanabe Medallion sound quieter than the Invidia or is it just similar but without the drone?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just had a trip to Bangkok and was buying stuff for my s2000. I Met a son in law of a exhuast/manifold manufacturer in Thailand who previously manufactured exhaust systems for J's racing! Lucky they had a couple s2000 manifolds left in stock so i bought one! J's racing has moved their production lines to China due to cost...

For me i would go with J's or J's clone
Old 08-31-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Speaking from personal experience that my car with the following

AEM V2 intake
Decat
Tannabe touring exhaust
And tesco 99

I had lean spots in the standard map. During vtec cross over i would dip into the high 14s which isnt a massive issue but its not great either. It would then pull about 13.6 all the way to the redline. I done probably 9-10 trackdays like that with no issues but i always used good fuel but i have no idea whether the ecu was detecting knock or pulling timing.

I know most tuners want to get nearer to 13 during wide throttle on NA. Fitting the AEM EMS gives you alot more control. You also soon see that the injectors are nearly at full capacity to keep things nearer the 13.

Fitting a manifold could make the mixture even leaner so it would be a good idea to keep an eye on AFR.

On a side note, widebands are so cheap now and models like the plx emulate the oem narrowband so it makes sense to fit one to get a real idea of whats going on. Its not like the old days when they cost £500 odd quid.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mish
Out of interest Raffe... should the Tanabe Medallion sound quieter than the Invidia or is it just similar but without the drone?
After all the posts I have read/You Tube videos watched (trust me its an excessive amount) I am 90% sure the Tanabe is both quieter and lacking the drone of the Inividia.

Obviously you need to do your own homework to ensure you are comfortable with the route you go as my expectations may be different to yours, good luck
Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 AM

thanks Raffe, that helps... I'll do some more digging, but like the look of the Tanabe so far.

Thanks everyone... appreciate all the thoughts... definitely thinking a berk cat too.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1440972499' post='23731544
[quote name='RobAp1' timestamp='1440961126' post='23731390']
You won't be able to safely run a full system with manifold unless you change your management/ecu and get it mapped to up fuelling a bit. Earlier cars run a bit richer but a cat back system with or without decat and an intake is the most you could really get away with on a stock edu without affecting the afr too much
Pure b0llocks.
Instead of just pitching in with something like that, would you care to back up your comment?!
[/quote]
I already have several times on this board for this subject hence why I can't be bothered to do it again.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boys2k
Just had a trip to Bangkok and was buying stuff for my s2000. I Met a son in law of a exhuast/manifold manufacturer in Thailand who previously manufactured exhaust systems for J's racing! Lucky they had a couple s2000 manifolds left in stock so i bought one! J's racing has moved their production lines to China due to cost...

For me i would go with J's or J's clone
That explains why the J's was so sub standard compared to Toda (still made in Japan). Ours is based on the J's but with better workmanship.

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Manifold...