UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust manifold wrapping help

Old 04-05-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust manifold wrapping help

I ordered a 2" by 100' roll of deititabium exhaust wrap with the locking ties.

Any helpful tips ?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I wrapped a motorbike exhaust for use in our racing hovercraft, the key to it was to take your time (unsurprisingly!) and try and keep the tape as tight as possible around all the bends, which gets especially hard around the collector. If you are using the locking wire where you tighten and twist some wire to hold it, get the special tool and be very gentle when you start as otherwise it just snaps and it is mega infuriating. I think there is a knack to it and you get it after the 200th failure.

I went from one of the middle cylinders pipes all the way down to the end of the manifold at the flange in one hit and then used more tape on the other cylinder exhausts to merge into the tape at the collector unit. Then used loads of locking wire to secure it all.

The wrap significantly lowered the exhaust temps though because before we were melting the gel coat on the fibreglass and afterwards it was just warm!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry but my advise is...dont't use it and get it coated instead.

It never lasts and eventually comes apart and gets damp no matter what you do, weighs quite a bit (not that, thats a major problem) and will never be good a increasing exhaust gas velocity as a good coating.

IIRC there is somewhere in manchester that does coating, in american its jet hot coating.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

My Toda manifold was coated and for an un-shielded manifold the engine bay stayed as cool as OEM, if not cooler. Nothing technical was used to measure this, just the number of times you open a bonnet when needing to do some work, top up fluids etc..

OT : I have heaps of heat paint and tape if anyone wants it just pay postage: PM me!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 AM

http://www.saveguard.com/exhausts/thermolastic.htm
Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go ahead and wrap it one tip I can give you
When I did the Alfa manifold I used copper clips to secure the wrap
They look like a hose clamp about 15mm wide with a small nut and bolt for the clamp
Tidies up the ends and thin enough to get right up to the flanges
Looks very tidy when done, mine has Ben wrapped for 10 years and still looks good except for the very last section under the floor as it gets all the wet and crap on it.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

My Spoon manifold has been wrapped since going on the car - the wrap we used back then needing wetting and then wrapping around the manifold - take your time and it will be fine.

Like oxhousers its still fine now, bar a little worn under the car where its more visible to the elements.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Razz I've got some exhaust wrap that Fernando sent me, which I am not going to use.... You can have it, I also have some aircraft grade wirelock which I can send you also.
Let me know and I will post it out on Sat.

If nothing else it will give you some to experiment with.
The following users liked this post:
razzele (04-23-2022)
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Sorry but my advise is...dont't use it and get it coated instead.

It never lasts and eventually comes apart and gets damp no matter what you do, weighs quite a bit (not that, thats a major problem) and will never be good a increasing exhaust gas velocity as a good coating.

IIRC there is somewhere in manchester that does coating, in american its jet hot coating.
The problem with coating is it's bloody expensive, I had my manifold ceramic coated in the states. But my down pipe cost me £230 and I still need my turbo hotside ceramic coating.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys and AJ

I'm looking forward to doing this.

The main reason I want this is just to drop engine bay temperatures, if there is any exhaust velocity increase I'd take them happily as well!

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
Razz I've got some exhaust wrap that Fernando sent me, which I am not going to use.... You can have it, I also have some aircraft grade wirelock which I can send you also.
Let me know and I will post it out on Sat.

If nothing else it will give you some to experiment with.

That would be great. I really want to wrap the link pipe as well as my left leg, as thats getting pretty hot in the car now!

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold wrapping help