UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

exhaust noises?!?

Old 10-15-2001, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust noises?!?

Hi all.

Picked up my car on Saturday and finally lost some guilt of shelling out all the cash!

Anyway, since the day after i picked it up there has been some strange (worrying!) noises coming from what i can only think is the exhaust?!
On acceleration, and particularly at high RPMs, it sounds abnormally rough, and coming back through the gears there is a very definite blowing kinda noise........mainly on the left side.

what could this mean........and more importantly.......if it needs a new exhaust, is it covered on warranty??
And how much is it gonna cost if it ain't?!?!
Old 10-15-2001, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be amazed if there was anything wrong with this exhaust short of accident damage. A loose joint is possible I suppose. In view of the fact you've only just bought it I'd get it back to 'em for a check up PDQ!
Old 10-15-2001, 04:22 PM

It was second hand though......but only done 7000 miles on a 99V.
I will take it down somewhere just to get it up on a ramp and see what the noise actually is!

Whats the deal with warranty on the exhaust parts?
Old 10-15-2001, 04:39 PM

Just seen a load of posts in the archive from various "big names" on the forum about the clutch resonance at low (2.5-4) revs.

I definitely get that "buzz" that comes back through the clutch when decelerating and revs are fairly low.

It seemed like many have had clutch replacements before 10k miles - could this be the problem?? - there seems to be a lot of knowledge about the US bulletin report regarding this problem?

I need to see a dealer i think.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]Just seen a load of posts in the archive from various "big names" on the forum about the clutch resonance at low (2.5-4) revs.

I definitely get that "buzz" that comes back through the clutch when decelerating and revs are fairly low.

It seemed like many have had clutch replacements before 10k miles - could this be the problem??
Old 10-15-2001, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by stevenleith
Hi all.

Picked up my car on Saturday and finally lost some guilt of shelling out all the cash!

PS - at yr age why feel guilty? - that's for old farts like me
Old 10-15-2001, 10:36 PM

With the hood up the car can seem a bit noisy.
I like the noise, it reminds me this is no ordinary car.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go straight back to the dealer. Even in the event the problems aren't covered by the warranty, you've still consumer law helping out within this length of time.

Good luck... I've experience of two dealers now - one the car will happily go back to, the other it only went to due to a breakdown, and hopefully will never go near again!

-Brian.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]Just seen a load of posts in the archive from various "big names" on the forum about the clutch resonance at low (2.5-4) revs.

It seemed like many have had clutch replacements before 10k miles - could this be the problem??
Old 10-16-2001, 12:40 AM

My exhaust makes one hell of a din.........especially at 9000 revs!

Quick Reply: exhaust noises?!?