UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust "stump"?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust "stump"?

I noticed my exhaust has a 6 to 8" branch about half way down near the cat. It just seems to be a section of exhaust that has been welded on but just comes to an end

Is that normal? Any idea what it's for other than to cause back pressure?

Also... just for the sake of ranting. I jacked the car up this evening to change the gearbox oil but it didn't occur to me that the drain plug would need a square key. What a ####er after all the jacking effort Still, I opened the fill hole and some almost new oil came out so it must've been changed fairly recently, but the trouble is it looked far to thin for gearbox oil which could be the reason my gears are so clunky...
Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You mean the T shape (towards the engine)?

If so thats the resonator/widget/helmz holt, it reduces nasty vibrations and resonations that would make it sound awful without.

or do you mean the Y branch (towards the backboxes) that goes to the backbox's?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 PM

pipe that sticks out is the resonator, i removed mine along with the middle box for better sound, i can now hear the exhaust note all the time, especialy with the top down, not too loud though.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Gearbox oil is as thin as engine oil
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 AM

I thought it must have been a resonator or such like. I've never seen that on any other car.

As for the box oil... it was about the same consistency as water. I have new oil anyway so may as well change it. 2nd gear is nigh on impossible when the car is cold, as is 6th. It's better when warm but still not great.

Is it possible to get the clutch recall done on an import?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pfeds,Dec 2 2008, 09:54 PM
II jacked the car up this evening to change the gearbox oil but it didn't occur to me that the drain plug would need a square key.
Use the end of a square ratchet drive.

As for oil, it has a characteristic smell, a bit sulphur like normally if its gear oil.

What oil have you bought for the box?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 AM

I've got some Castrol Manual SM-X 75w85 GL-4. I know someone has tried it before so figured I would give it a go.

My local Honda refused to sell me Honda MTF due to gearbox oil needing to be replaced using a "specific process" that only they could carry out. I'm not sure what their specific process is other than to drain the existing oil and replace it
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 AM

LOL, more tales of a dealer full of BS, it's going from every week to every day now.
They must be so desparate it's almost humerous.
There is nothing 'special' according to Honda's own technical manual, as you know.

That oil ought to be okay, you'll need a couple of litres if using the squeezy bottle with pipe type thing

good luck with the change, although a bad 2nd and sixth sounds more like a mechanical wear issue.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 AM

I'll let you know if the castrol makes any difference. The box has got noticeably stiffer the last couple of days since the temperature dropped a few more degrees. The oil must've been changed in Japan before it was imported a year ago, so who knows what's in there. It could well be mechanical wear as the cars done 72k, but there's no way I'm changing the box during the winter

...and I have a nice penis pump for the oil. makes life a lot easier.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by pfeds,Dec 3 2008, 01:38 PM
...and I have a nice penis pump for the oil. makes life a lot easier.

Make sure all the KY is out, or try lubing the bell ends with Slick50.

Quick Reply: Exhaust "stump"?