UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Failed MOT today

Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed MOT today

Hi everyone,

My S2000 failed its MOT today on the following:

1. Rear brake application uneven
2. Rear brake release unevenly

Doing a search make me think its the calipers. Could this caused by the calipers starting to seize?
I've noticed that the discs have a ring of rust on the outer edge where the pad is obviously not making good contact with the disc. They arent seized on as the wheels arent getting warm.

Its going back tomorrow for them to try and fix the problem. They will start with swapping the pads for some new ones. Hopefully winding the pistons back might free them up.

Anything I can have the garage do to try and free them rather than just new calipers?

The car hasnt been used much recently, so I'm not sure if this has contributed.

Thanks
Alan
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 AM

I'm surprised they could tell - I hope they didn't use the brake test rollers on a car with an LSD.

Always worth telling them that they have to test it on the road not on the rollers which can damage the LSD.

Probably should put that MOT rule in the FAQ's somewhere?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

didn't know that Si

they might sieze not on but normally you would see heat on one or both wheels as the brakes would not be completely siezed and would 'drag' after they'd been applied.

a decent mech will be able to free them up and clean them unless they've rusted (mine never have)
Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by S2000Si,Mar 11 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm surprised they could tell - I hope they didn't use the brake test rollers on a car with an LSD.

Always worth telling them that they have to test it on the road not on the rollers which can damage the LSD.

Probably should put that MOT rule in the FAQ's somewhere?
Thats interesting. I'll check with them. Maybe sticking it on the rollers gave incorrect results. It wasnt Honda so maybe they didnt know that the car has an LSD.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 AM

They probably got the right results to be honest, but they shouldn't be testing it on the machine.

Having watched them trying to test on the road, it is much less accurate, especially on identifying the differences between wheels and they would probably have missed this kind of problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 AM

mine has always been tested on the machine ? why should it now ???
Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 AM

If you look at the MOT guidelines for the tester.. LSD cars should not be tested on the rollers.. i will hunt for a link to the guidlines
Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 AM

see vehicles not to be tested on a roller brake tester in the link below..

"Certain vehicles should not be tested on a roller brake tester, eg vehicles with More than one driving axle permanently engaged Limited-slip differential Belt-driven transmission"

http://www.ukmot.com/3-7.asp#Text_top
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 AM

oh nice ! my MOT is on sat so must make sure they dont do the brake test on it this time!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

When testing brake efficiency on cars not to be put on the rollers it's not possible to see which wheel is sticking, it's only the deceleration rate that gives a reading on the machine. If when on the ramps the wheels were spun by hand the tester should have been able to seee/feel a difference side to side.
To be honest when mine was done at work(Honda Dealer) I don't know if it was done on the rollers or out on the road, I'll need to check, banned from the workshops while it was done in case I threatened/bribed the tester.

Quick Reply: Failed MOT today