UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First near miss

Old 05-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First near miss

Just had my first close shave in the S2000 thanks to some complete douche bag in a mini-bus.

I was pootling along through some residential streets near my house, stuck behind some old dear in a Focus, probably only doing 25-30 max. As we came round a sweeping right hand corner I spotted a mini-bus, on the other side of the road pulling out of a side street. He was turning right out of a side road onto our side of the road. He pulled out half way, then stopped when he spotted the car in front of me. I was about 3-4 car lengths behind the Focus. The Focus carried on with no slow down or indication, so I carried on as well. The mini-bus waited till the Focus had passed him, then just as I was was about to pass him, he pulled the bus out straight into my path. In the half second I had to react I stamped on the brakes, and swerved left to avoid him. I somehow missed him and squeezed through the tightest gap you can imagine, avoided a smash, and my alloys somehow avoided a catastrophic kerbing. After I realised the car was in one piece I briefly contemplated stopping the car and giving the guy a bollocking, but ended up carrying on my way thanking my lucky stars.

Hand's down I think it was the worst bit of driving i've ever witnessed, just so glad the car is ok, and i'm not now facing the ball ache of dealing with insurance companies.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn.

As I've always found, assume in those situations that the person is going to pull out on you and be ready for it. Or just assume everyone is an idiot. It's one of those assumptions that's usually a winner!
Old 05-02-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

I always have my Cree side lights on in daylight,
the low stance on the S is invisible country lanes especially..glad mine is a light colour.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always drive with full lights on to avoid issues, that and they look good !
Old 05-02-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also always drive with dipped headlights, most cars are so tall these days people seem to look straight over the top of you. Still doesn't stop the occasional idiot failing to spot the bright red shiny metal thing with headlights on though
Old 05-03-2015, 12:10 AM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason why I installed a dashcam a little while back. If I ever I had the misfortune to be in the position like above I'd be pleased I had evidence of the dangerous driving of the other party.

Glad you are ok and no harm done to you or the car.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:31 AM

What dash cam do you use MrM or others that have them? Any links to quality of image would be good too.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by soupdragon
I also always drive with dipped headlights, most cars are so tall these days people seem to look straight over the top of you. Still doesn't stop the occasional idiot failing to spot the bright red shiny metal thing with headlights on though
Yup I personally think it's crazy to drive with no lights on, should be like Sweden where I think it's illegal to not drive with sidelights on, unless that's a myth . Sidelights on my normal car but dipped with the S as the sidelights are pretty pathetic in the sunlight (on that note anyone recommend or know of any 'white' bulbs that work for them, basic fleabay sides work?).
Old 05-03-2015, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be driving with my lights on from now on! If dash cams were mandatory driving like this should result in 3 points on your license. Much more dangerous than doing a few mph over the speed limit.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:27 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

(on that note anyone recommend or know of any 'white' bulbs that work for them, basic fleabay sides work?).
[/quote]
As i stated above Cree <W5W T10 501 Cree LED> 72LMs and about £5.95 Have them in all my cars
i used item 140825715721 and still in there after few yrs so last well
just like driving with dip beam and not stressing the charging system= more HP

Quick Reply: First near miss