UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First track day, Big thanks to the North West Crew

Old 06-08-2017, 12:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good write up Ray you took to it really quickly, but yeah when I did the Blyton day with Ron n Robin I was bricking myself!

The drivers briefing..."Anyone not driven here before please raise your hand" - it was only me that hadn't! Plus there were loads of trailered race cars wearing slicks!!!

Once on the track though I realised that the S is a very capable trackday car and I wasn't holdiong people up so started to relax and enjoy it, glad you did too!

Here's a few pics from your day
Album here...
https://www.flickr.com/gp/121428186@N06/W0cKX5

Old 06-08-2017, 01:17 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c

I'm not sure that sort of behaviour was part of the briefing

Ray, did Lee squeal like a girl like he did when I took him round Oulton?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:51 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Haha! Great stuff!
Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up, puts me at ease a bit more about booking my first proper track day, think I'm going to take the plunge in the next few days then I'll have no turning back.
Contrary to other posts I did a couple of laps at the green hell on a tourist day and wasn't anywhere near as scared about that as I am about a full track day. Maybe it was the fact that for every amateur racing driver in a gt3 there was a joiner in his transit van going round the track so I didn't feel too slow in my fiesta
Old 06-08-2017, 04:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What a great day bud. Thanks for the taxi ride, never even a flinched when it stepped a little. Its been great watching your race craft develop over the last couple of years. With the drifting, track day and advice from Paul, I can really see your abilities progressing further.

Big thank to all the NW boys who chipped in, yer a good set of lads.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Fantastic write up that also summaries the nerves and fear/expectations I had in my first day.

Ironically I have that sort of panic when I remove the head cover and start poking around the engine internals, which I imagine you could do in your sleep!

So when's the next one?
I still panic when i look inside some engines

Next one,,hmm duno yet as i'm booked on a drift day on the 16th then will have to get ready for the hillclimb at llys y fan dam in july plus will be booking a school day at Harewood and Loton and thses Trackday jobbies arn't cheap when you add up the fuel and Brake pads, it destroyed a set of Dixcel ES pads, but i will keep checking to see if one suits
Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by djchocice
Sounds like you had a good time out there Ray. Oulton is a belting track, I'm itching to get back there once the Ohlins are on mine.

I remember I was a bit nervy out on track in the S, more because it was my own car and not someone else's that I was spanking around there in.
Yeah i have to admit a had a great time which is something i wasn't expecting i thought i'd be shouting and waving everyone past but at the pace i was going i actually found it very relaxing and calming which is a bit strange for me, that in itself was quite unnerving , til i start going faster i suppose
Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by kingpin78
Nice write up Ray and the videos bring back memories of what was a cracking day . I was nextdoor in garage 20! Cheers for telling me to get my ass down there to secure it

Anyways big shout out to the entire NW crew who were there offering advice for my first outing around Oulton Park too (and a bit of dot 4 when needed!). Thankfully made it back in my daily drive intact!
Hopefully we all get together again soon.

Andy
The relief when you turned up, i was cacking myself up to that point , just to have someone to talk to and take my mind of it was so good, shame we weren't out in the same group, hope to catch up with you at a meet or to
Old 06-10-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Yeah i have to admit a had a great time which is something i wasn't expecting i thought i'd be shouting and waving everyone past but at the pace i was going i actually found it very relaxing and calming which is a bit strange for me, that in itself was quite unnerving , til i start going faster i suppose
It's serene when you get into a Rhythm on a trackday, once you're relaxed you start going quicker as well because all your inputs are smoother. The car looks well sorted in the corners as well, the only shame with a full day on track is its bloody hard on the car. Unfortunately nowhere in the North is offering half day sessions at the moment, which would be ideal as it doesn't take so much out of the car.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Great i booked my 2nd track day at Oulton Park a while ago which just happens to be this Fri, just checked the weather and it's give out monsoons over Tarporley, i think i'll be better going in a boat glad i booked an instructor but really not looking forward to this one

Quick Reply: First track day, Big thanks to the North West Crew