UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Firt Track Day Impressions

Old 08-04-2001, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firt Track Day Impressions

Just got back from Oulton Park after todays easytrack day, what can I say F*!*&ng Awsome

This was my first track day and during the first session it was a case of trying to find my feet, had one scarry moment when the car I was following pulled in to let me go by unfortunately we were midway through a down hll right to left under braking and the back end give a twitch as I wen't by and braked hard. That I'm glad to say was the one and only moment I had.

The 2nd session I wen't out with an instructor and it was well worth the 30 quid, by the end of this session I was 10 mph faster through the hairpin. The instructor was very impressed with the car however he said I was that the steering on the car was very sharp and I was far too aggresive with it which was leading me to unbalance the car, smoother turning required and definately improved my speed. At this point I'm afraid I was letting the side down as I was having to let lots of Elise's through.

Session 3 was interupted as the rain came down and a 944 Turbo and a 106 GTI had a coming together 1 car in front of me and we were both a tad lucky to avoid getting involved ourselves.

The 4th and final session was awesome, the sun had come out so the roof wen't down and this was the only session in which nothing passed me, instead I got by 1 Elise, a Caterham, a Westfield, a 911 and Sierra Cosworth. It was at this point that I think I had finally got to grips with the track and the car behaved impeccably, it never gave me a single anxios moment which makes me wonder whether I was pushing it hard enough and just how far you can push it. I think an Airfield day is on the cards, somewhere a bit more open where I can find the car's limits without worrying about hitting a barrier.

There was an Accord Type R there and the driver was good, I had to let him passed a couple of times in the 1st two sessions, mind you he didn't give a monkies about the car as it was a company car!

There was also a black NSX Mugen Viper with the plate NSX 1 was an awesome car with twin turbos and 420 bhp but the guys driving it were taking it very easy. The fastests cars on the day were definatly some of the Caterhams and Westfields, there was one caterham with a cosworth turbo engine puting out 320 BHP.

Roll on the next one!!!!!
Old 08-04-2001, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic!!! It's those sudden steering imputs that are gonna catch you everytime with this car tending to oversteer when you're pushing it Great for getting the back end out, but a bit bum-twitching when you're not expecting it Sounds like you had a great time .