UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fitting the roof cover - with roof tube

Old 09-09-2001, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fitting the roof cover - with roof tube

Okay, I've taken the hard top off. Muz roof mat no problem. Muz roof tube is proving a bit of a problem. The roof doesn't quite go down fully with it in. So I can fit the roof cover easily enough, but the back of the cover keeps poping out. I'm going to PM Muz, to see if he has any suggestions, but I wondered what other people practises are?

- Use the tube, don't use the cover.
- Use smaller tube. (It's seems quite a large diameter. ~2.5 guestimate.)
- Don't use the tube when using the roof cover.

I'm planning on using the roof cover on track days, but not so much day to day.

What's everyone think?

-Brian.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Violence.

The roof doesn't always retract fully, I don't think it's the roll. My roll is a piece of pipe insulation (sorry Muz, it was free with my house!) so It's probably not his fault.

You just have to thump/push/bash/jump on the cover. I think it (the cover) actually moulds to shape once it's on, such that the nasty metal clips (watch that deck paint!) start to fit under the plastic lip. When you first unfold it, its slightly too small. Anyway, it stops pinging up after a couple of minutes.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

HEHE..I don't think it has anything to do with the roll either. Would adjusting the retraction distance of the top help this situation I wonder?
As for moi, the first time I lowered my soft top, I put in my tube, and then gently pressed down on the top to make sure it was sitting nice and snug. Since then, the top hasn't seen daylight since I have a hard top, and keep the soft one retracted 99.9% of the time....
Asif
Old 09-09-2001, 10:44 PM

Sorry guys, but my cover fits perfectly with no stretch proved the tube isn't in. It won't sit down at all with the tube in, and the roof is noticably higher when down.

I'm not trying to attack Muz - I did try a few times before posting.

-Brian.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A perfect fitting roof cover?

My cover pops out at the back and at autoroute speeds tends to flap about. Hence it got relegated to the loft....

I remember when I tried to fit it once I had to press down on the roof to get it to fit. Left a nice line in the middle of the screen....

To add to the glass rear screen debate.... If Honda supplied a hardtop as standard would that meet with the trade description?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by awinskill
A perfect fitting roof cover?

My cover pops out at the back and at autoroute speeds tends to flap about. Hence it got relegated to the loft....

I remember when I tried to fit it once I had to press down on the roof to get it to fit. Left a nice line in the middle of the screen....

To add to the glass rear screen debate.... If Honda supplied a hardtop as standard would that meet with the trade description?
I was planning on using the cover for trackdays. The cover was actually more tricky to get off than put on!

It's in the boot currently. I'll probably bring it to the meet - then we can get a comparison of how well it fits.

-Brian.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:13 AM

I have the same problem with my home made tube, I reckon they need to be quite thin in diameter to not cause a problem.
Though I do recall a recent TSB about the height of the mechanism with the roof down, I think if it was 2 inches above the bodywork (ie the metal outside part) then it amy need adjusting.

Sorry can't remember which thread it was, and I haven't measured mine yet, but this may be part of the problem.
Just an idea

Ross
Old 09-10-2001, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ross
[B]I have the same problem with my home made tube, I reckon they need to be quite thin in diameter to not cause a problem.
Though I do recall a recent TSB about the height of the mechanism with the roof down, I think if it was 2 inches above the bodywork (ie the metal outside part) then it amy need adjusting.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:17 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Hmmm... I just went and checked mine just to make sure and had no problem here either. There has been the odd report on the board of people whose roofs haven't lowered all the way though. Perhaps it's an adjustment needed?
Old 09-10-2001, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Muz
Hmmm... I just went and checked mine just to make sure and had no problem here either. There has been the odd report on the board of people whose roofs haven't lowered all the way though. Perhaps it's an adjustment needed?
Without the tube the roof lowers to something like 1.5 in. I'll check, as soon as I can put the roof down again (British weather... ). There is a noticable difference with the roof tube in place - at least an inch. I'll check as soon as practicle, but I've certainly no problems with the cover at all when not using the tube.

My car's at the dealer next Monday. As a favour can a few UK owners post the height their roof mech. protudes when down so I've a UK baseline?

Thanks for responding Muz. I'm not trying to damage you're products or reputation here, but my cover really won't fit with the tube in. I can also see about taking some pictures showing the difference. Not very scientific, but it might provide some insight.

-Brian.

Quick Reply: Fitting the roof cover - with roof tube