UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Forum sale dilemma

Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forum sale dilemma

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I have recently listed a few items in the for sale section but have just received a complaint about the condition of a centre console. Here it is

Below is how the PMs have played out tonight. I would like to make it clear that I am not refusing to deal with the matter, the advice I am looking for is what is a fair outcome for both me and the purchaser. I find it's always best to get an outsiders perspective on these things, and to make it easier to follow my name is Pete and I have removed the sellers details as I think that is appropriate.

Originally Posted by buyer' timestamp='1390590068
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the prompt postage and good packaging, much appreciated.

I did however notice the door was damaged when I unpacked the console which is fairly substantial (photo below for reference).

As a result I'd like either a part rebate as this item is not worth the money paid (£146) with this level of damage, or alternatively, a full refund including return postage at your expense.

I look forward to your response.
Originally Posted by surfer_crx' timestamp='1390592785
Hi (buyer),

Good to see that it got there okay. As for the damage that you spotted, I didn't notice it when listing it as a for sale item, however it is clear to see on all the photos that are provided in the for sale thread, the item is not a new part and was not advertised as in a new condition. You made me an offer, having seen the photos, which I accepted. The assumption is therefore made that you have examined the photos and have made an offer to the value that you believe the item is worth.

Regards,
Pete

Originally Posted by buyer' timestamp='1390596167
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Given that you didn't notice the damage whilst listing the item, having it in your possession and photographing it it is not fair to assume that a bidding buyer would notice the damage whilst viewing the photos.

You have to bear in mind that this forum is viewed to various platforms including Smartphones, of which is my device of choice. With a limited screen size of 4" and 3G bit rate downloads (not as good as WiFi believe it or not) then I did not stand any chance of seeing that damage in the listing. So to reiterate, if you did notice the damage whilst having the console in your possession, how would a buyer be able to notice it whilst viewing a picture that does not focus on the damage?

What's more, if you did not notice the damage while listing the centre console you will have valued the item as if it were not damaged and therefore advertised at a higher premium for it. Should you have noticed the damage, you would have priced it lower, of which I am requesting a rebate on.

As a seller you have a responsibility to clearly describe any defects to ensure the fairest possible trade, which were not done in your listing and therefore makes your listing misleading.

Furthermore, as a buyer over the Internet, I am covered by distance selling regulations which can be enforced by PayPal by dispute, which would result in a full refund to me and you would be lumbered with the damaged centre console again, and be out of pocket in further postage costs.

I am being more than fair by giving yourself the opportunity to rectify the issue by rebate, opposed to expressing my rights and opting for an out-right refund.

I merely feel I have overpaid for a defective item, which unfortunately you indirectly agree with by confirming you did not notice the damage until me pointing it out.

May I suggest a £40 rebate to resolve the issue?

Kind Regards,
(buyer)
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the buyer is being fair to me, chuck him the 40 quid and move on
Old 01-24-2014, 12:45 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's clear to see from the photos that the item is damaged and in fairly poor / dirty condition.

However, I think you have three options:

1. If you think whatever he paid minus £40 is a fair price then refund him the £40 and move on

2. Tell him to send the item back, and once received, you will refund him the full amount; then re-sell the item

3. Do nothing, tell him buyer beware and ignore all further contact. FWIW I think the buyer is not covered by Paypal protection as according to Paypal's own rules, Personal Transaction payments are excluded:

https://www.paypal.c...cale.x=en_GB#13

Your choice.

Chris.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I think chris covered it.

Given neither of you spotted the damage it's fair to either refund or adjust the price.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:01 PM

I personally wouldn't be happy parting with that much for something clearly damaged. As already said, agree a part refund or take it back and re advertise.

PayPal wise depends if it was sent as gift or not. If done as purchase inc fees then the buyer will pretty much always get a refund if disputed.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No.2 gets my vote, we all make mistakes and in this case you've both made one. You by selling something that's broken without mentioning it and buyer cos he bought it without looking.

It is not an eBay sale to a stranger and I think on a forum like this we should give eachother a chance.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by chrisr111
1. If you think whatever he paid minus £40 is a fair price then refund him the £40 and move on

2. Tell him to send the item back, and once received, you will refund him the full amount; then re-sell the item

Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
MSC

The seller made a mistake not noticing the damage and pointing it out in the for sale post. The buyer made a mistake not noticing the damage on the photo. I think you have both been very honest and very reasonable.

I agree with others, £40 is reasonable and saves the hassle of having it returned at your cost and reselling as damaged. Nobody has been deceitful and you both sound like honest people so i would just sort it and move on
Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd refund £40 and get on with life.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:11 PM

Offer him a handjob or a blozzer from your missus and pray that he's not packing any fudge.

Quick Reply: Forum sale dilemma