UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Forum sale dilemma

Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrote a nice long reply to this thread last night and the battery died on my phone before I could hit Reply.

As per the above few posts; I use a phone to view this forum and I saw the damage OK.. There's an image pointing directly to the damaged area.

I could understand his point if there were no images, or if the quality was poor. But they're not, so IMHO he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:10 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

In all fairness you said you didn't see the damage yourself despite removing from the car, open and closing the trap door to take photos and placing the photos on your thread, so the buyer could easily have missed the damage from just looking at a photo, I think as suggested a refund is in order good will and all that
Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always find it useful to ask yourself what you would do if the position was reversed and you were the buyer. Personally I think he laid it on a bit thick in his email but setting aside that, I would take his offer or refund it if you think you can do better with a resale.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
In all fairness you said you didn't see the damage yourself despite removing from the car, open and closing the trap door to take photos and placing the photos on your thread, so the buyer could easily have missed the damage from just looking at a photo, I think as suggested a refund is in order good will and all that
Totally agree bud.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:25 AM

I think the buyer does have a fair point about the damage not being highlighted, particularly when he made his point about 'no major marks' - so this may be worthy of a gesture.

That said, he's now of the opinion that it's not worth the money he paid for it. These aren't exactly easy to come by and you already sold yours at a fair whack below what they fetch on the open market. The shipping element of what he paid is irrelevant and when you strip that away, he's knocking you down by 30% on the price for what is ultimately a piece of broken plastic that's incidental to use of the overall piece. That's where I think he's taking the p!ss. £20 refund or send it back and give him a full refund to have him out of your hair (assuming you have some....).
Old 01-25-2014, 07:56 AM
MSC

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
This ^
Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 AM

The fella deserves the £40 off.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I was thinking that they may help me make my decision but I'm still as confused just need to clear a few things up first.
  • I didn't offer any description of the item's condition at any point, public or private.
  • If I was parting with my hard earned I would make double sure that the item was in a satisfactory condition.

Am I the only person that makes an offer on an item after thinking about what it is worth to me? Just because I didn't see the damage shouldn't mean that I am liable for it, I didn't offer a condition description because that is subjective and the item is used after all. What I did offer were high resolution photos so that the item can be looked at in a decent level of detail.

£40 is a lot of money to refund on something that has already been discounted, I'm starting to wish I'd just gone after the money in the first place and stuck it on ebay.

Also the chap who posted in the for sale thread is not the one that bought it.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Tough choice but I'd say do the right thing and come to some agreement with the guy.
At the end of the day though if he's gone through PayPal the right way, then by and large he'll probably get all of his money back, seeing as the power nowadays is with the buyer and you'll be the one that has stuck your head above the parapet. (He's unknown at this point remember whereas you're not).

You don't want this to reflect badly on yourself, so come to some sort of agreement.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reputation counts for a lot on this forum. People are more likely to do business with someone in the future who as a gesture of goodwill refunded the sum £40 given the circumstances. Your choice

Quick Reply: Forum sale dilemma