UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel Light - what's the range?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I remember a Megameet we had someone who said they drove 50+ miles after the warning light came on!

And don't forget the actual fuel gauge (not light) is calculated by your current driving style more than the amount of petrol left.
The amount of bars can increase if you start driving more economically.

Steve
Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NRB123
The benefits of using V Power.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xndGinZXoKE
Not seen that one before!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by minvo
And don't forget the actual fuel gauge (not light) is calculated by your current driving style more than the amount of petrol left.
Sorry Steve but that's totally wrong, there's nothing cleaver about the S2000 fuel gauge, it's a crude pendulum and float connected a potentiometer, no calculating, no relating to driving style, the number of bars might change but only because it's an inaccurate useless old fashioned gauge.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by minvo' timestamp='1428941414' post='23575958
Sorry Steve but that's totally wrong, there's nothing cleaver about the S2000 fuel gauge, it's a crude pendulum and float connected a potentiometer, no calculating, no relating to driving style, the number of bars might change but only because it's an inaccurate useless old fashioned gauge.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but....RICH MC IS RIGHT!!!

Apart from the cleaver that is, but then again I guess that's also correct?

Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

20-40km is usually what i go with, i dont let it go further. In regards fuel filters i had a Civic before that i changed it on and the petrol was coming out a tinted colour. It could've been dirt or rust from the filter itself id say.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing wrong with Tesco 99 - should have just filled up with that instead of wasting your time with £5 then going to shell.

I tried doing the whole drive to work today on the fuel light but the wife was freaking out about running out in rush hour traffic so detoured to the nearest station.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Just for comparison I drove the 7 miles to the nearest V Power in my M3 the other day.

When I parked overnight the digital read-out was 12. On the drive over it started at 9 and dropped to 2 miles as I climbed a hill up from the old Dereham-Wymondham railway line bridge. I was already in top gear no more than 2000rpm mode with more than 2 miles to go By the time I got to the V Power it was back up to 4. Luckily I was within sight of Wymondham Cathedral and my prayers were answered

I can well believe the BMW computerised world is more like Minvo's fantasy than a proper analogue car like the S2000.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would NEVER let mine get that low ever again. Two years ago, it went from 4 bars left to 0 bars in the space of around 5 minutes. I then thought I should drive straight to a petrol station, unfortunately I never made it. Ended up walking.

Lesson learnt, I always refill when there's 6 bars left.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reset the trip meter every fill-up and go by your average miles per tank. Beyond 300 and I start getting squidgy bum.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tjhmortimer
I would NEVER let mine get that low ever again. Two years ago, it went from 4 bars left to 0 bars in the space of around 5 minutes. I then thought I should drive straight to a petrol station, unfortunately I never made it. Ended up walking. Lesson learnt, I always refill when there's 6 bars left.
I've not run out but the lights are completely unreliable in my experience. Top half takes ages to drop down, bottom half just vanishes, especially after 3 or 4 lights. I try to fill up when it hits half way now.

Quick Reply: Fuel Light - what's the range?