UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel Light - what's the range?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last S' (also an MY07) fuel gauge worked okay, as in I did run dry once when the fuel gauge predicted it'd be empty!

The MY07 I have now however, always misguides me to refill even when I have 10 litres of fuel left - yes, the low fuel lamp comes on. Sometimes the fuel gauge will rise again a few bars, I only notice this within the low fuel range though. If stationary with the engine running the gauge tumbles, then creeps back up again when you start moving.

It's pretty annoying having to drive sedately for the last 60 miles or so due to the gauge 'crying wolf'.

I tend to use the trip counter as an indicator now as I never run out if I fill up before 330 miles. This is slightly more economical than my previous S which had the AC removed and would get 320 miles mixed driving no problem.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jeeze I'd be happy to get 300, let alone 320! The best I've ever done was 314 before I refilled, and i think I had about 4 ltrs left.
I usually fill up at around 270-280 miles - usually leaves with 5-10ltrs spare and 1 or no bars on the lights - depending on the mood the car is in on the day
Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gauge is also very sensitive to the gradient that the car is parked on. It will show lower than normal parked facing up a hill, and possibly more than it normally would if parked facing down a hill. This is probably why minvo thought that the gauge can change depending on driving style; if you are going up a long hill, the gauge will drop faster, then as the road becomes flatter or goes downhill, the gauge can climb back up a few bars. In my MY05 anyway.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

The fuel gauge is crap. Vary variable. Don't read much into the exact level, just use it as a guide. Sounds like you had an unusually good one in your previous car!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GC84
The gauge is also very sensitive to the gradient that the car is parked on. It will show lower than normal parked facing up a hill, and possibly more than it normally would if parked facing down a hill. This is probably why minvo thought that the gauge can change depending on driving style; if you are going up a long hill, the gauge will drop faster, then as the road becomes flatter or goes downhill, the gauge can climb back up a few bars. In my MY05 anyway.
Nope - nothing to do with hills - we don't have hills in Norfolk.
I still stand by what I say - if I ease off then the bars go back up. Sometimes from 2 to 6 bars. My car has obviously got some gremlins or it's haunted by some madly insane witch from Suffolk.

But from 6 bars it can drop off a cliff and go to 2 bars within a few miles.

S.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

There is definitely some gradient sensitivity. If I park mine on my sloping drive facing the road it always has much less fuel in it than if I park it the other way, usually around 2 bars.
I'm assuming its to do with the positioning of the sensor in the fuel tank.

I always thought the number of bars showing was more an indication of range, drive it hard on a low tank and it will go down a lot quicker.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minvo
Nope - nothing to do with hills - we don't have hills in Norfolk.
I still stand by what I say - if I ease off then the bars go back up. Sometimes from 2 to 6 bars. My car has obviously got some gremlins or it's haunted by some madly insane witch from Suffolk.

But from 6 bars it can drop off a cliff and go to 2 bars within a few miles.

S.
Maybe it's the mad g-forces when you are vtec-ing that slams all the fuel away from the sensor.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Go back to my post #13, and add the S has a large but flat tank so plenty of opportunity for sloshing about, also consider that the response is damped to attempt to even the reading out. Granny driving will give a more accurate reading, but we don't want to go there do we? The most accurate sensor I've had was on a Mini (real one not the German heap of poo) the tank was virtually square so very little slop.

Best go by the miles and carry a gallon can in the boot if you are really worried.

If you really need to know fill up drive steady and note the mileage each time a bar goes out, you'll find a lot more miles per bar with the tank fuller and a lot less when it's getting low, and a lot more variance due to "slosh".

Minovo, "if I ease off then the bars go back up. Sometimes from 2 to 6 bars", you are sloshing about less when you ease off so the average level is higher and more constant.

Last edited by richmc; 07-17-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GC84
OMG! This!

Where I park my car is incredibly uneven (despite being a private car park!) and has some spaces on a decline, some on a mild inline. Parked the car up and come back to find 3 bars gone overnight if I'm on the low side of the gauge!

Had a bit of a panic the other day, got 315 miles out the tank on a loooong run, but the last 5 were stop start traffic and the light came on juuuust as I stopped. Never felt so nervous!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best way to predict the fuel gauge? Driving style + mileage.

336 miles is my best (I think).