UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel at pump displayed price?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Fuel at pump displayed price?

Been chatting to a friend of mine about fuel and his experience of price jump between leaving the pump and arriving at the pay desk.
Well it happened to me today. I filled to an exact Pound. Replaced the nozzle, checked the price and went to pay. At the till it was 2 pence over, at which point when I queried the point was told " you probably put a few drops more" and "it's all digital".
Now the two stations are mainstream and I wasn't filling the Honda. (We always use V power) but as I am the suspicious type and although 1 or 2 pence isn't a huge amount of money it would be if it occurred on a large enough scale.
Any one else here had a similar experience?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had that, I tend to use the same shell station but even if I'm elsewhere I have never known the price to sneak up by the time I get to the till, sounds a little like a scam where they could skim a few quid a day????
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pay at pump problem solved and the next person in the queue can get in your spot quicker too ...
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM

My local Shell actually keeps a jar of pennies and 2p's to the side for people who go just over!

They only do it if you ask but I saw someone kicking off in there once because the jar had run out!

Wrexham for you.....
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It has happened to me many many many times in the past, but I found that it happened when I've returned the pump nozzle back and immediately walked off to pay and didn't wait for the pump to turn off (you can hear it running and turn off when you replace the nozzle).

Next time just replace the nozzle and keep your eye on screen until the motor stops, it sometimes ticks over one, I'd say its just that you were (in millilitres) very close to another 1p in usage and when the pump turns off it might read the reverse flow of the fuel (?)

Doesn't bother me any more though as the last time it happened was probably 2 years ago.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnsy
My local Shell actually keeps a jar of pennies and 2p's to the side for people who go just over!

They only do it if you ask but I saw someone kicking off in there once because the jar had run out!

Wrexham for you.....
Haha one opposite Newi is great

just never go there and bang on midnight, if you fill up just a minute before midnight you have to wait for 15 minutes or so whilst the computer reboots itself?!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've known of this as a scam in some areas. Started off in the states for garages to gain more revenue and it seems it does happen here from time to time.

If you are 100% positive you filled it to the exact pound you should report them.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Some places near me change the price of 95 and diesel the normal way....up and down 3p, 5p etc.....but leave the super at a fixed 1.55, 1.57 regardless of movement. Sometimes you can't get the price until the pump engages....that's probably why they do it.

Just spent years paying 12p/l ..... Not enjoying uk fuel prices
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM

I always go 1p over and they never take it... If you had it up you can get near an extra quid of fuel a year for free... Genius!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Originally Posted by Burnsy' timestamp='1376506609' post='22724370

Wrexham for you.....
Haha one opposite Newi is great

just never go there and bang on midnight, if you fill up just a minute before midnight you have to wait for 15 minutes or so whilst the computer reboots itself?!
Newi?1 It was back in the day when I went. Glyndwr University now!

To the OP, yep, happened a good few times to me.

Quick Reply: Fuel at pump displayed price?