Fuel query - Page 3 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fuel query

Old 05-09-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by flanders View Post
Thanks for the pic Andy, I wonder if the early models had different ignition map then.
Hey no worries, I think your correct the map could be different. It could be why I see such a great improvement when using 99 Shell v power compared to what others see. I know the JDM imports are supposed to get more power because of higher compression levels. I guess that is because the fuel in Japan has a higher Ron and could resist knock at higher compression.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 PM

Irony? Maybe sarcasm. Don't know why ya threw ethanol into the discussion of gasoline/petrol. Yeah, it has an octane number but you can't burn it in a normal car. Poor guy fills up with "100 Octane" (E85) and he'll be surprised. Can't burn JP-4 either although it may run in a diesel even with no octane number

-- Chuck
Old 05-10-2018, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brailer View Post
Just got an 04 facelift car. Guy said he always used to fill up using vpower. Not many shell garages near me, tesco would be great. Are there any benefits to using vpower or tesco momentum? Eg. Better fuel economy, decarbonisation mixture in fuel.
YES, I experimented a couple of years back with unleaded / super / and supermarket unleaded with Millers octane booster added. I carefully controlled my driving style and the journeys driven were identical. I found, not guessed that Super gave around 30 miles per tank more than standard forecourt unleaded, with the Millers/cheep unleaded around 15 miles more but after two tank full runs the engine was noticeably noisier. I then repeated the experiment with a more spirited driving style 98/99 RON gave better acceleration this was not quantifiable but was defiantly there. As for decarbonisation, you can only trust the fuel suppliers word I used to use a tin of BG44K once a year but don't bother now as in later years it seemed to make little difference.

I did put all this in a thread on here years ago. So you have to balance performance against cost, and what you want from the car, at the time it actually made economic sense to use Super, I'm not sure of how this pans out now, but then I prefer the performance and smooth running of the engine with high octane fuel and don't give a monkeys about the cost.

Last edited by richmc; 05-10-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Irony? Maybe sarcasm. Don't know why ya threw ethanol into the discussion of gasoline/petrol. Yeah, it has an octane number but you can't burn it in a normal car. Poor guy fills up with "100 Octane" (E85) and he'll be surprised. Can't burn JP-4 either although it may run in a diesel even with no octane number

-- Chuck
In the UK petrol companies don't have to declare the contents of their petrol at the pumps, but I believe, Tesco 99 is 10% bio ethanol, I think I read that somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
In the UK petrol companies don't have to declare the contents of their petrol at the pumps, but I believe, Tesco 99 is 10% bio ethanol, I think I read that somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong.
Only time I've had a problem with my car was when I ran Tesco 99. It could be a total coincidence that it happened then. The car started cutting out like there was fuel starvation, either it was a bad batch of fuel or the fuel filter got clogged. Filling up at Shell fixed the issue completely, hasn't happened again since.

Applegreens here in Northern Ireland state on the pump their fuel is 10% Bio Ethanol so I steer well clear of that, it isn't even cheaper so makes no sense to me.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post

-- Chuck
The original question is what fuel are you using and I'm pretty sure E85 is a fuel right?
Also you cant burn E85 in a normal car? I think you educate yourself some more if you really think that.
On a quality built car like our Hondas you could just up the fuel pressure and it will run high ethanol fuels perfectly fine for thousands of miles.
You won't really gain much without additional tuning but it will run, small disclaimer about starting in really cold weather
Old 05-10-2018, 03:11 AM

I think it's safe to assume if they can add 10% BioEthanol and still meet the BS EN:228 standards, then they will add some to boost the RON to 99. I was looking for a non-ethanol fuel to lay my car and boat up for the winter, saw rumours of Esso Supreme 97 being the only one that might not contain alcohol but as none of the manufacturers list their content it's all "my mate's cousin's sister works at the refinery and they ...blah, blah"
Old 05-10-2018, 05:33 AM

10% ethanol is pretty standard in North America but a few places have gasoline with none. Usually listed on the pump as "May contain up to 10% Ethanol" or similar. Some areas have as much as 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline but this is E15 (and so-labelled), not E85 even though 85% is petrol. E85 (85% ethanol) seems rare in my area (I don't look for it) and requires a FlexFuel setup either OEM or aftermarket. E85 ethanol can produce higher horsepower at the expense of greater fuel usage. I don't intend to experiment even with E15 in any non-FlexFuel car especially since automobile manufacturers claim it will damage the engine. Too much ethanol and rubber parts are at risk. If we can really digress the operator's manual of my new last month lawn mower has this (in bold) DO NOT use E15 or E85 gasoline.

-- Chuck
Old 05-11-2018, 01:36 AM

So is the consensus to use tesco momentum over shell v power?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:52 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Brailer View Post
So is the consensus to use tesco momentum over shell v power?
Not at all. I use V-Power because:
  1. There are lots of Shell Garages near me
  2. I can use their app to pay
  3. I get points on my purchases for a voucher each quarter
Having said that, my old MY02 car ran perfectly well on normal Shell 95 Ron when there was no Super available after the Buncefield explosion.

Quick Reply: Fuel query

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands