UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

GC84 Moonrock!

Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GC84 Moonrock!

Hi all, I'm Glynn and I purchased my S2000 at the beginning of July this year, was lurking for a while before that, gathering information so as to hopefully make an informed purchase! I thought it was about time I thanked you all for the amount of useful information here and introduced the car that I bought.

It is a 55 plate 2006 registered(pre high tax) Moonrock which at the time had a nice and low 30,000miles, and now has another 6000 miles of pure fun added to it.

I think I got pretty lucky with this car (touch wood), I didn't look very long and it was the first car I looked at, and is what a lot of people consider the 'sweet spot' of the model years. Having a family member who owns a few Honda dealerships helps here, but even then they don't come up very often. The car was totally standard, bar possibly the boot spoiler, which I guess could have been specified from new? It has had a full alignment and bolts greased, a new head unit and Focal components in the doors and a K&N FIPK for some noise.

My previous car was a remapped Fiesta st180, which I got rid of for the s2000 as I wanted to try a RWD car, and having been exposed to Type R Honda's from an early age I have always wanted to own a proper vtec engined car at some point, so why not get(IMO) the best one.

It was a purchase full of apprehension, my first not-brand-new car for a long time, obviously a totally different interpretation of a fast car to the FWD turbo torquey Fiesta, and to top it all I had a pre-planned two week road trip round Europe with the misses less than a month after buying it, so space could potentially be a problem(for her and her 'stuff').
But the appeal of roof down action, vtec shreeking through the alps, and posing along the french riviera overcame any apprehension and any lack of comfort that was experienced. The car was totally faultless for the 3600 mile trip through 5 Countries, used little to no oil but saw 9000rpm a lot and 6th gear vtec engagement and beyond on the autobahn a few times, and we found we could pack everything we wanted, with enough space in the roof void to put a load of wine on the way home.

I'm going to try and post some pictures of the car, and if i can figure it out they will show the car not long after I got it, then up in the Austrian alps on the Timmelsjoch pass, and next to my uncle's ladyboy blue LHD s2000 at his house in France. I like to think it has lived the best 3 months of it's life so far

Name:  DSC02174.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  299.8 KB
Name:  DSC02169.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  298.8 KB
Name:  DSC02284.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  255.3 KB
Name:  DSC02559.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  332.4 KB
Name:  DSC02560.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  274.4 KB
Old 09-12-2016, 03:27 AM
UK Moderator

Nice !

Bharat
Old 09-12-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a nice example!

Wheels look especially good...have they been refurbed?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k
Looks like a nice example!

Wheels look especially good...have they been refurbed?
Thanks! They haven't been refurbed by me, not sure about the previous owner. If you get close to them in person there's the usual not so great looking wheel nuts and centre cap, theyre my next job along with some stone chips.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roof down plus scenery plus sun plus vtec equals
Old 09-15-2016, 03:04 AM

Yeah man! Roof down with the crisp Alpine air at 2500m altitude was wicked!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:05 AM

Hello all, looking for a bit of advice....
Yesterday I started my first deep clean/detail of the car since the start of winter and noticed some new issues with the bodywork on top of the ones i already knew about.

You may have to zoom in if viewing on a phone, the above picture shows rust above the drivers side rear light.

Same panel viewed from inside the boot opening.

The car appears to have had some work on this side, which has flaked and now rusting. I haven't come across any other threads from other people having this issue...

Can anybody give me an idea how quickly this could develop into an even more unsightly issue/how quickly it needs sorting to prevent it becoming more expensive, what sort of cost it may entail, and if there is anything a novice like myself can do to get rid of it/make it look better/stop it getting worse.

Any help appreciated!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd also be inclined to say it's had some work done on it.

A decent detailer/Valeter will have a paint depth gauge which will soon confirm of any work done. Usually primer/paint/lacquer usually comes back around 80-120 microns thick on these.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Fender bender possibly?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 AM

Most likely, looks like I'm just going to have to take it somewhere and ask for a quote before it gets worse

Quick Reply: GC84 Moonrock!