UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Going to look at a 03 s2k gt tomorrow, help!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at a 03 s2k gt tomorrow, help!

Guys just a quick one really, my girl friend and I are going on a 170 mile round trip to see an s2k.

We have read the FAQ thread and looked though the forums but could any one give us a few major things to look for?

Any common problems that are expensive to fix?

Thanks for any tips. The
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've read the FAQ so will know all about Geo and seized bushes, can't really expect to check that on a test drive but you can see if the car has had any form of alignment or geo done in its history.

General state of the car and current condition of oil, tyres, pads help to show if the current owner is meticulous about things but at eight years old it's probably had previous owners, all you can look for is a well documented history.

Hood wear inside above your right shoulder and dampness in the boot under the tool tray are good areas to look for negotiation points
Old 11-10-2011, 05:22 AM

That's spot on mate, Ill check the hood inside where you said and the boot floor for any damp. Im fine checking general wear and tear but little tips are great so any more would be a huge help.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 AM

Budget on a set of recon brake calipers, they are Nissin and seize up for a past time, not a massive expense but a pain in the ass if it happens miles away from home(which I guarantee it will do at some point) obvious geo issues, if it's never been done you will have seized bolts, not an issue if it drives straight and true but could potentially be an issue come MOT time. Obvious things like service history etc but apart from that they are amazing cars. I've had two, owned an MY00 and still own an MY05. Lots of great helpful advice on here.

If you decide to buy I'm sure you won't regret it. If you ask for some help a local owner will probably come and check it out with you for the price of the petrol.

Enjoy.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BUSHES!!!!
As NineBolts has already said the bushes are the big thing. A full set of new bushes (excludes the 2 compliance bushes) will set you back about £800-£900ish fitted and geo done by somebody like Dixon Motorsports.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Check for any vibrations through the transmission and ticking at idle.

Usually just trust your gut instinct. You can tell when a car has been looked after.

One thing I always check is what Tyres are on the car. Cheap Tyres shows they don't care and are not an enthusiast. Make sure all the seams in the door shuts, bonnet and boot match both sides. Obviously if they don't it means its had new panels.

Good luck, hope it's a minter!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by RevRanger
BUSHES!!!!
As NineBolts has already said the bushes are the big thing. A full set of new bushes (excludes the 2 compliance bushes) will set you back about £800-£900ish fitted and geo done by somebody like Dixon Motorsports.
x10 bushes.

And don't be satisfied as I naively was with evidence that the geo is in alignment. Mine was indeed in alignment, as the geo check report I was shown suggested - seized in alignment!

All sorted now and the car is otherwise a peach for it's age, but that was a bill I could have done without.

Good luck with it - I've just ticked over my first 10k miles of ownership and it still puts a smile on my face every single time I drive her.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the lip on the rear arches for crap.pay special attention to the front part where it meets the sill.although you can't check the front because of the arch liner,have a good look where the front wing again meets the sill,These are crap traps(for the want of a better word) and although it isn't the end of the world,it is bargaining power.don't skimp on this so take a cloth to wipe your hands with and if possible something to lie on.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Well guys Thanks again for all the tips and hint! We went to view the car and put a deposit down on it! 2003 plate with 54K and looks mint! Roof in great nick, drove great and engine bay looked factory fresh! Made up.

Ill through pic's and ids up when we go back to pick it up soon!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 PM

Great news!!! Do you mind me asking what you paid for the car, its just i bought a 03 54k last month so would just be interested

Quick Reply: Going to look at a 03 s2k gt tomorrow, help!