S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Is this a good bet... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/good-bet-1103034/)

richmc 03-11-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by s2Sam (Post 23536397)
How much do you think the example Ive described to you are worth? I probably should factor in a new clutch? And are there cases of the TCT lasting well over a 100,000 miles if it's been properly cared for?

Thanks

The TCT is not a major issue, and can be DIY fixed. The clutch is imposible to quantify as you won't know how it's been driven and could well last 150K+. As for the worth of any car is dependant on too many things to accuratly guess, one trick is to have a look on eBay and go to advanced search, you can look at compleated listings this will tell you what has and hasn't sold and what prices they have fetched.

s2Sam 03-11-2015 02:28 PM

I'm just wondering if anyone's seen a silly high mileage facelift sell for less than £6000.. sounds good think I will be an S2000 owner very shortly :D

rhauri 03-12-2015 01:58 AM

Always had a hankering for Alfa V6's, especially that 3.2 in the GTA! Bet it was an animal!

How much can you buy the Moonrock for?

If the mechanics know the car and can vouch for its condition then it sounds like a potentially good buy.

Don't let mileage worry you too much, service history and treatment of the car is paramount. Just make sure you don't pay over the odds as the mileage does effect the asking price of these cars.

I've owned 3 100k+ S2000's and been happy with them (including my current one).

If you can, find out if the geometry bolts are free, or when it was last done, as that can be a costly repair should the geo bolts be seized (have a search around the forum for more info).

Coppins999 03-12-2015 06:08 AM

Regarding the clutch life. I bought my S2k on 85k miles with good history of works carried out, but no indication that the clutch had been replaced.

Like you I thought I would have to spend money on a new clutch soon.

That was 8 years ago and the car has just clocked up 160k miles and still not needed to change the clutch!!

Mr-T 03-12-2015 07:25 AM

As mentioned above, the moonrock sounds like a good buy if the garage you work at has serviced it the last few years. Also a good sign that the owner is taking it to Honda for the service.

As with all cars, mileage is not really an issue providing the car has been looked after.
Reason many people go for low mileage cars are that it means less miles for someone else to wreck the car.

Fully agree with comment about the alignment bolts.
Could even ask it as a condition of sale. Owner to have geo done on car and all bolts checked for seizing.

Another true comment that has already been made, the price of S2000 seem to be going up this year. Looking at prices now, I am sure I can sell mine for a profit to what I paid for it 2 years ago. But a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Key things to watch for.
Check rear arches. Honda's are very bad for this. Check for rust. If the rubber arch protectors are still on, this can often (Not always) cause water to be trapped and start rusting from inside out.

Check the wheels. Same brand and type of tyre on all 4 corners? You do not want to have 2 different tyres of tyre on the car. Will not handle well.

TCT: This seems to be an odd one. Some peoples last 150K+, others go at 20K. But as mentioned, its a potential easy DIY fix, or a couple hundred £ for a heavy duty one shipped form the states.

Good luck and hope to see you with a S2000 soon.

ROB1980 03-12-2015 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by s2Sam (Post 23536459)
I'm just wondering if anyone's seen a silly high mileage facelift sell for less than £6000.. sounds good think I will be an S2000 owner very shortly :D

I paid £6000 for a facelift GT in November 2012, 60k, 1 owner, prices do seem to have gone up since then though

s2Sam 03-12-2015 11:54 AM

Wow you must have striked well lucky I haven't seen a facelift for that money in the last year I have looked. Chap wants £6500 but I was more inclined to want to pay 6 for it..

I have thread about the TCT it really does all depend on how it's been driven. Does the TCT just suddenly go or are there plenty of warning signs well in advance? I ask because I have a holiday booked to Italy with the car!

Thanks

Sam

BCA 03-12-2015 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ROB1980 (Post 23537437)

Originally Posted by s2Sam' timestamp='1426112895' post='23536459

I paid £6000 for a facelift GT in November 2012, 60k, 1 owner, prices do seem to have gone up since then though

I remember when you bought it, that was atleast £1k underpriced even back then. :). Lucky you, glad you still enjoy it!

drives 03-12-2015 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by s2Sam (Post 23537665)
Wow you must have striked well lucky I haven't seen a facelift for that money in the last year I have looked. Chap wants £6500 but I was more inclined to want to pay 6 for it..

I have thread about the TCT it really does all depend on how it's been driven. Does the TCT just suddenly go or are there plenty of warning signs well in advance? I ask because I have a holiday booked to Italy with the car!

Thanks

Sam

My TCT suddenly went. However its not something that would cause you to immediately stop driving your car and repair asap. As long as you don't keep driving it for thousands of miles with a ticking TCT you'll be okay. I was driving mine around for a few weeks before I got my replacement from the states. Plus price wise, as already said Rob1980 got a freakishly good deal even back then, so not really much use for comparison. I reckon 6k from what you describe is an okay deal.

rhauri 03-13-2015 01:48 AM

Don't get hung up on the TCT.

You can sandblast the worm gear inside it for a cheap / temporary fix, or get an uprated item from the states for under £200 which should last (one of the lads here in the NW has one and does mega miles and hasn't had a peep)

http://www.balladesports.com/product...hain-tensioner