UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is this a good offer?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing an S2000 for an SUV? Have you considered therapy?
Old 10-26-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

So here's what I posted on trust pilot and their reply -

I recently had an "offer" from the car buying group They offered £8887 for my Honda S2000, I had given full, accurate and honest details about the car including the fact that it was in the past a CAT d write off. They had all the information BEFORE they made the offer. So why is it when I had the phone call I was told by Zack that they couldn't pay the original quote because it was a CAT d?
They just inflated the offer to get my attention with no intention of paying what they quoted, this is a very bad and dishonest way to do business.
And they certainly won't ever be doing business with me or anyone I know.

Reply from The Car Buying GroupPublished 17 hours ago Hi Richard, I am sorry to read you had a disappointing experience. Delivering an excellent experience is very important to us and it is never pleasant to read when a valued customer feels they haven't had the experience they were looking for. Our aim is to always offer a fair and transparent service. I would love to discuss your feedback with you in more detail, please feel able to contact me at sarah@thecarbuyinggroup.co.uk

I will be emailing them.

Last edited by richmc; 10-26-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by prince buster
Changing an S2000 for an SUV? Have you considered therapy?
No but I have considered that as we are getting a dog, it would possibly be quite cruel and probably illegal to stuff the pooch in the boot of the S.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I went thru the motions of selling my wife's ~Skoda Octavia, both "We Buy Any Car" and a. n. other car buying operation used exactly the same Bollox, having quoted a figure, they then, on seeing the car , reduced their offer price for, amongst other things, stone chips -WHAT DO THEY EXPECT ON A NINE YEAR OLD CAR.

total time wasters
Old 10-26-2018, 03:06 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
No but I have considered that as we are getting a dog, it would possibly be quite cruel and probably illegal to stuff the pooch in the boot of the S.
That's exactly why my first period of S ownership came to an end. Then it was dog wagons (Subaru Foresters) for a while.
Actually they both preferred the M3 as the back seat is not so far away as where they were in the dog wagons.
Not an SUV but there is at least one member on here who carries a small boy in the back.

Now down to one dog she loves the motorhome and even tolerates the Smart.

The 'new' S is strictly ME, summer roads and twisties and (see 0:29)
Old 10-26-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Ditch the wife and put pooch in the passenger seat. Could even remove the seat.

Don't buy a Qashqai or you will be off to that Swiss clinic sharpish

Old 10-26-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 347 Likes on 323 Posts

Arsie,you should maybe attend some meets one day and feel some movement that you have rerouted
Old 10-27-2018, 12:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Standard fare for any car buying service these days, lure people in with a good price then nitpick and cut about 30% minimum off the price to maximise profit.

If you're getting a doggo, you don't need an SUV, you just need a hatchback with a decent sized boot or a small estate unless you have a massive dog.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I think in the OP's case it sounds like the buyer cocked up

The perceived wisdom is that a CAT D is worth around 70% of the equivalent 'clean' car, assuming a quality repair, so nearly £9K for the OP's car does sound very high and I'd have accepted it as well

I'm less convinced that all of those operators chip sellers by 30% or so after a physical check

I'm sure that there are plenty of sellers who are somewhat economical with the truth when describing their cars but we don't really hear about those

When I last used one of these people I had to provide a very detailed description before the car was viewed - including number of stonechips, etc - so there was very little scope for disagreement

I was happy with Evans Halshaw but then I also had low expectations in terms of the value of my car and was fully aware they would want to make a profit
Old 11-06-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Always a catch with those websites, pain in the ass.

Get a small enough dog to fit in the footwell with the missus, that's what I did

Quick Reply: Is this a good offer?