S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Is this a good offer? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/good-offer-1189150/)

richmc 10-25-2018 12:32 AM

Is this a good offer?

I've been thinking of selling up and going for an SUV, possibly a C-HV. Out of interest I stuck the car on Wizzle and have had an offer of £8,887.
The car is MY56 with 60,000 on the clock, just been MOT'ed and waxoled, along with a wheel refurb. It needs a new rag top and is a CAT D stolen recovered.
Do you think £8,887 is a fair offer? Bearing in mind I will be digging my heals in and not dropping from that offer. And will want to keep the personal reg plate.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...8b627cd462.jpg

nomadicS2k 10-25-2018 01:13 AM

The mileage is good, the CAT D is where they bash you down I reckon. Initial thoughts are it sounds fair..

Define198 10-25-2018 02:34 AM

If they will give you near £9k for a cat-d i would snatch their hand off

noodels 10-25-2018 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Define198 (Post 24525256)
If they will give you near £9k for a cat-d i would snatch their hand off

Agree

RobinA3 10-25-2018 04:00 AM

as above.

richmc 10-25-2018 04:53 AM

OK so I've accepted the offer on line, lets see what happens next. Will keep updated.

richmc 10-25-2018 06:42 AM

So I got the phone call, an had the discussion, and had "As it's a CATd we can't offer what we first quoted". When I pointed out all the car details were posted in the advert including it being CATd and their quote was based on what I had told them how come they want to reduce it now? No answer, except "we just had to check the details". When I said I would only accept the original quote and not a penny less he said "we can't offer that", I said well you already have. I declined to do business with them.

So if you want to sell a car to an online agent don't bother with The Car Buying Group, they lie, tempt you in with a big fat offer then drop it, I'm not really surprised.

Define198 10-25-2018 07:17 AM

Did they give you a revised figure?

richmc 10-25-2018 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Define198 (Post 24525354)
Did they give you a revised figure?

I didn't bother as it's illegal to use profanity over the phone, but like any car et al I guess it would be around 50% of the original one. The point here is that they had ALL the information given to them originally so why give an offer they had no intention of honouring? It's bad business, and means no one reading this thread (or trust pilot) will touch them.

Nottm_S2 10-25-2018 01:04 PM

They are all knobs

prince buster 10-26-2018 12:59 AM

Changing an S2000 for an SUV? Have you considered therapy?

richmc 10-26-2018 01:16 AM

So here's what I posted on trust pilot and their reply -

I recently had an "offer" from the car buying group They offered £8887 for my Honda S2000, I had given full, accurate and honest details about the car including the fact that it was in the past a CAT d write off. They had all the information BEFORE they made the offer. So why is it when I had the phone call I was told by Zack that they couldn't pay the original quote because it was a CAT d?
They just inflated the offer to get my attention with no intention of paying what they quoted, this is a very bad and dishonest way to do business.
And they certainly won't ever be doing business with me or anyone I know.

Reply from The Car Buying GroupPublished 17 hours ago Hi Richard, I am sorry to read you had a disappointing experience. Delivering an excellent experience is very important to us and it is never pleasant to read when a valued customer feels they haven't had the experience they were looking for. Our aim is to always offer a fair and transparent service. I would love to discuss your feedback with you in more detail, please feel able to contact me at sarah@thecarbuyinggroup.co.uk

I will be emailing them.

richmc 10-26-2018 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by prince buster (Post 24525629)
Changing an S2000 for an SUV? Have you considered therapy?

No but I have considered that as we are getting a dog, it would possibly be quite cruel and probably illegal to stuff the pooch in the boot of the S.

eriktheredd 10-26-2018 01:32 AM

When I went thru the motions of selling my wife's ~Skoda Octavia, both "We Buy Any Car" and a. n. other car buying operation used exactly the same Bollox, having quoted a figure, they then, on seeing the car , reduced their offer price for, amongst other things, stone chips -WHAT DO THEY EXPECT ON A NINE YEAR OLD CAR.

total time wasters

arsie 10-26-2018 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by richmc (Post 24525633)
No but I have considered that as we are getting a dog, it would possibly be quite cruel and probably illegal to stuff the pooch in the boot of the S.

That's exactly why my first period of S ownership came to an end. Then it was dog wagons (Subaru Foresters) for a while.
Actually they both preferred the M3 as the back seat is not so far away as where they were in the dog wagons.
Not an SUV but there is at least one member on here who carries a small boy in the back.

Now down to one dog she loves the motorhome and even tolerates the Smart.

The 'new' S is strictly ME, summer roads and twisties and (see 0:29)

Nottm_S2 10-26-2018 06:17 AM

Ditch the wife and put pooch in the passenger seat. Could even remove the seat.

Don't buy a Qashqai or you will be off to that Swiss clinic sharpish

noodels 10-26-2018 03:21 PM

Arsie,you should maybe attend some meets one day and feel some movement that you have rerouted :D

djchocice 10-27-2018 12:56 AM

Standard fare for any car buying service these days, lure people in with a good price then nitpick and cut about 30% minimum off the price to maximise profit.

If you're getting a doggo, you don't need an SUV, you just need a hatchback with a decent sized boot or a small estate unless you have a massive dog.

gaddafi 10-27-2018 07:35 AM

I think in the OP's case it sounds like the buyer cocked up

The perceived wisdom is that a CAT D is worth around 70% of the equivalent 'clean' car, assuming a quality repair, so nearly £9K for the OP's car does sound very high and I'd have accepted it as well

I'm less convinced that all of those operators chip sellers by 30% or so after a physical check

I'm sure that there are plenty of sellers who are somewhat economical with the truth when describing their cars but we don't really hear about those

When I last used one of these people I had to provide a very detailed description before the car was viewed - including number of stonechips, etc - so there was very little scope for disagreement

I was happy with Evans Halshaw but then I also had low expectations in terms of the value of my car and was fully aware they would want to make a profit

Riknos 11-06-2018 06:23 AM

Always a catch with those websites, pain in the ass.

Get a small enough dog to fit in the footwell with the missus, that's what I did :D

S2K-Phil 11-06-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Riknos (Post 24529910)

Get a small enough dog to fit in the footwell with the missus, that's what I did :D

The missus sits in the footwell with a dog?

richmc 11-06-2018 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Riknos (Post 24529910)

He He He! I'm tempted with that one I'm aiming to get a Labradoodle, but might go for a fully grown Great Dane instead. :devil: