UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Got my OEM wheels back from powder coating

Old 09-08-2017, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my OEM wheels back from powder coating

When I got my S, it came with some 17" wheels that seem to be unbranded, that I really didn't like on this car.

I purchased some OEM from a S2KI forum member and had them powder coated in Anthracite - can safely say I love em.

Unfortunately, the rubber is going to cost around £300 plus the cost of geometry etc, probably meaning I need £500 or so before I can have them fitted

Old 09-08-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Should of looked for a set of facelift wheels, with some rubber on them already probably wouldn't of cost much more in the end, and the 16" wheels are worth peanuts anyway 50-£100 for a full set so its a bit of a waste spending more than that on powder coating them as i doubt that would add value to them as no one wants them!
Old 09-08-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Define198
Should of looked for a set of facelift wheels, with some rubber on them already probably wouldn't of cost much more in the end, and the 16" wheels are worth peanuts anyway 50-£100 for a full set so its a bit of a waste spending more than that on powder coating them as i doubt that would add value to them as no one wants them!
Thanks Captain Hindsight.

The facelift wheels are a lot more to buy, I got these wheels for £50. Facelift seems to go for £500ish.

I prefer the look of these, plus I can choose the rubber I want.
I am doing this for MY car, not doing this to increase the value, like the car is some sort of investment.

Welp - pretty much first and last time I post on this forum.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

It's OK, feel free to post some more - I think people will want to stay on the right side of you with that much cement stored in your garage for those "concrete galoshes" or "Chicago overcoats"
Old 09-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brooktini86
Thanks Captain Hindsight.

The facelift wheels are a lot more to buy, I got these wheels for £50. Facelift seems to go for £500ish.

I prefer the look of these, plus I can choose the rubber I want.
I am doing this for MY car, not doing this to increase the value, like the car is some sort of investment.

Welp - pretty much first and last time I post on this forum.
Don't be butt-hurt about it.... its a forum, take my comment for what it is, some one else's opinion and advise which you can ignore or do what ever you wish.

You said you have to pay £300 for new tyres, and have now said the alloys worse £50 + cost of refurbishment. No idea how much that cost you, but say between 100-150? I have seen oem 17" wheels with ok tyres, for not much more, granted they are not new tyres but you would end up with alloys worth more, which look infinity better and would of also added value to the car. instead of the 16" pre-facelift ones.... Just to make it clear, i am not having a go at you, just stating that its a bit daft spending such money on pre facelift wheels. If you dont want advise or other peoples opinions and only praise - then yes you should stay off forums
Old 09-08-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think they look awesome - I had my 16" OEMs which were looking decidedly second hand done at Lepsons last month and i LOVE THEM again

It's not about refurbing them to add value to sell them to someone else, it about refurbing them to put back on the car!

exactly
The following users liked this post:
brooktini86 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Define198
Don't be butt-hurt about it.... its a forum, take my comment for what it is, some one else's opinion and advise which you can ignore or do what ever you wish.

You said you have to pay £300 for new tyres, and have now said the alloys worse £50 + cost of refurbishment. No idea how much that cost you, but say between 100-150? I have seen oem 17" wheels with ok tyres, for not much more, granted they are not new tyres but you would end up with alloys worth more, which look infinity better and would of also added value to the car. instead of the 16" pre-facelift ones.... Just to make it clear, i am not having a go at you, just stating that its a bit daft spending such money on pre facelift wheels. If you dont want advise or other peoples opinions and only praise - then yes you should stay off forums
"Infinity better" - opinion.
I had a look at your car - in my OPINION, awful. But I like OEM and unmolested cars, so who am I to judge.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have taken off some non-OEM wheels and added pristine refurbed OEM wheels for your year of S - you have certainly increased the value of the car in my opinion.

I'm also with you on the fact that stock is best, so the car is as intended when it left the factory.

If can, don't skimp on the tyres as these are pretty critical.

Post some pics when the wheels are on, I bet it will look fantastic.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Little Bob
You have taken off some non-OEM wheels and added pristine refurbed OEM wheels for your year of S - you have certainly increased the value of the car in my opinion.

I'm also with you on the fact that stock is best, so the car is as intended when it left the factory.

If can, don't skimp on the tyres as these are pretty critical.

Post some pics when the wheels are on, I bet it will look fantastic.
Thanks!
These are the wheels that were on there before:

Thinking I will be going for Yoko AD08 for tyres - hopefully soon.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by brooktini86
Thanks!

Thinking I will be going for Yoko AD08 for tyres - hopefully soon.
FWIW, those are only V rated, not the correct W rated (not that it matters much). Look at the Bridgestone RE002s if you are a on a budget.

Quick Reply: Got my OEM wheels back from powder coating