UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

GPS Based 'Blackspot Warning Systems'

Old 12-04-2001, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must admit my concern (apart from the
Old 12-04-2001, 01:51 AM

I would assume the Origin is using a very similar database to the morpheous unit (if not the same data).

Morpheous has had good reviews for the fact that "it does what it says". I cannot comment on service issues. I am eager to get one of these little tools before Christmas and
Old 12-04-2001, 02:09 AM

The Origin has a few more bells and whistles than the Morpheus unit. I have spoken to Origin on a few ocassions and they have responded in writing (e-mail), which makes a change. The data base is their own, but they must have bought a Morpheus to check their database!

I don't have any relationship with Origin, and have moaned about their false starts in launching the product, again they have responded every time. It will be fully tested in the Jag at warp factor 10 from day one and I hope my expectations are met. Anyone local to Cambridge or Harlow who wants to see it action is quite welcome.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:36 AM

Well, just ordered an OriginBlueI as a pre-Christmas prezzy.

They said it will be delivered the week of the 10th. Full report will follow...

Often.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tokyo James - have'nt you seen all the solar powered radar detectors on the dashboards in Japan, I got a radar+GPS combination one for about 200quid (apparently fully legal in Japan). Within 1km of a fixed camera site it pings it out to you and speaks out what type of radar is being used - Of course it also picks up the mobile radar guns - it gets your attention if you have the volume turned it - it sounds like a SAM site has locked onto you with a missile. Saved me twice in 2 days after buying it, already paid back the initial cost. I don't rely on the detector - especially at night - but it helps to flush out some of the cameras you don't know on new roads - driving at 60km/hr on an open motorway is painful in an S2000. It also taught me to recognise where a typical trap site is located - the police have the same MO in terms of road layout.

Whilst on holiday in UK the other week - I saw outside my parents house a traffic cop using a very small hand held device in a 30 zone, similar size to a palmcorder. He picked people off at will - very easily - despite his high visibility jacket, apparently he returns to the same spot weekly - so maybe the GPS guys will be smart enough to include also the favourite trap sites as well as the actual cameras - that wouldn't be illegal would it?
Old 12-04-2001, 04:02 AM

Kobe

Can you give a lift from Osaka yacht club next time i'm in town, need some decent wheels when crusin
Old 12-04-2001, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by mrsoften
Well, just ordered an OriginBlueI as a pre-Christmas prezzy.

They said it will be delivered the week of the 10th. Full report will follow...

Often.
Will look forward to hearing about it

Pete
Old 12-04-2001, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone.....

One thing I did pick up from the respective websites seems to be a bit of a mismatch on the number of locations a unit can hold. On the Geodesy site, apparently the basic version can hold up to 16,000 locations - while on the Origin site, they list their own box as holding 4,000+ locations (and quote the same for the Geodesy)... Not quite sure of the truth here...

I think I'll hold off until one or two of you report back what you think - unfortunately, the price of the origin will have gone up 50 quid by then !!

Cheers again,

Matt.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:42 AM

By the time the authorities have lined every road with 'speed' cameras, together with the cameras that spot whether yr tax disc is outdated and the beams that analyse your exhaust gases - plus the ones that spot whether you have any money in your wallet - I guess these devices could become a bit overloaded.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:57 AM

Money from these speed camera fines is now going directly to Chief Constables to use as part of their funding. Gordon Brown wll love it because it wll save him getting harrassed annually for more financial allocation from hard pressed Chiefs. Some Chief Constables will pursue the 'Do Everybody You Can' policy more vigorously than others, but it's all very worrying! More enlightened Chiefs are already concerned about alienating the public without whom they can't function during murder enquiries etc.

Quick Reply: GPS Based 'Blackspot Warning Systems'