UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Had a bit of a disaster today... (geo bolts)

Old 07-03-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a bit of a disaster today... (geo bolts)

Evening all

Had a bit of a nightmare earlier. I've changed all the fluids on my S2000 in preparation for a drive to Munich in 2 weeks, stopping off at the 'ring on the way. Because of the latter I'll be getting new tyres and wanted to get a geo done before going. The car doesn't feel like it needs a geo to me but I thought I'd get it done anyway.

So today I thought I'd check the geo bolts starting at the nearside front camber bolt... yup seized. Like a monkey however, I decided to keep trying to turn it. I gave up after a while and put the car back together as I needed it for work tonight.

Now, the disaster. I've got a knocking noise from the front left. I'm now thinking that being a monkey I've tore the bush and ruined it. Far from ideal I'm sure you will agree.

My plan of leaving the geo "as is" now can't really be done as I'll have to cut that bolt out and change the bush. I'd just like to put it out there to get some opinions on what to do next.

Do I realistically have time to get the new bushes ordered in, fitted, and setup before the Germany trip? If so, who are some good suppliers to get the bushes in quickly? I guess I may as well just say to hell with it and rebush the front and rear arms entirely.

Does anyone have some arms spare that I could buy/borrow (giving you my old ones back) to make the job a bit easier? Then I could get the arms prepared and keep the car on the road for as long as possible.

Also, and I've searched for a good while about this and can't find a thing, do you need to buy brand new bolts from Honda? If so, Lings is saying £16 a bolt... that's f@#king crazy.

I'm just sat here at work thinking, why the f@#k did I have to mess with that bolt

Old 07-03-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hendy or tegiwa for the bolts. How many will you need to cut out? I only needed 3 myself. Just make sure you get a good saw and quality blades or you will be there for ever...dewalt x2 extreme blades worked a treat for me.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Hendy performance or tegiwa have both the bushes and bolts in stock so you'll easily get hold of what you need for early next week. No need to panic.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You have done well do damage the camber bushing, could understand damaging the caster, but the camber is pretty tough!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you?

Tegiwa / hendy can sort you out a bush and bolt.

I would suggest having a trained mech sort this out as you will be going to the 'ring. Don't want any accidents.

If you go for a full polybush kit, my favourite local garage did the who job in 3 days. 2 weeks wil be fine, considering the garage has minimal lead times.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Where are you?

I would suggest having a trained mech sort this out as you will be going to the 'ring. Don't want any accidents.

If you go for a full polybush kit, my favourite local garage did the who job in 3 days. 2 weeks wil be fine, considering the garage has minimal lead times.
Lol it's not rocket science mate. I'd always much rather spend the money on the tools and do it myself, managed to rebush my DC2 myself no problem

West Yorkshire by the way.

I've got a mate who works at Tegiwa so I'll give him a buzz, should have thought of that first!

Cheers
Dan
Old 07-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Define198
You have done well do damage the camber bushing, could understand damaging the caster, but the camber is pretty tough!
Unfortunately so eh. I thought I'd fixed it this afternoon, after nipping up the lock nut a bit more, but the knocking is still there unfortunately.

I can get it on some MOT ramps Monday to give it a shake about and make sure it's definitely this bolt. I can't see it being anything else though.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielJames
Originally Posted by mikefifth' timestamp='1435997677' post='23669572
Where are you?

Lol it's not rocket science mate. I'd always much rather spend the money on the tools and do it myself, managed to rebush my DC2 myself no problem

I've got a mate who works at Tegiwa so I'll give him a buzz, should have thought of that first!

Cheers
Dan

Rocket science maybe not, however it is time consuming. Got any pics of the Dc2? Im a DC2 slut.

I attempted to do mine, bought all the tools, loads of blades etc, after about 6 hours on a saturday and getting nowhere I though "screw this" and employed a local garage to oversee the swearing.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Originally Posted by DanielJames' timestamp='1436032968' post='23669800
[quote name='mikefifth' timestamp='1435997677' post='23669572']
Where are you?

Cheers
Dan

Rocket science maybe not, however it is time consuming. Got any pics of the Dc2? Im a DC2 slut.

I attempted to do mine, bought all the tools, loads of blades etc, after about 6 hours on a saturday and getting nowhere I though "screw this" and employed a local garage to oversee the swearing.
[/quote]

Haha yeah, was a few day job on the DC2.

Here she is as Anglesey last month:
IMG_1017.jpg by DanielJames., on Flickr