UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Had my first scare this morning

Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had my first scare this morning

Left the house this morning, nice day so take the car to work for a change. Driving through Blackheath about a mile from my flat and get to a mini-roundabout (for those that know it it's the one next to the hotel, on the Heath just outside of Blackheath Village). Turn left, then there's a sharp turn right, so I decide to provoke my S into putting her tail out. Unfortunately I catch her in a bad mood and she bites me. I give it way too much throttle and the back snaps out, I correct, correct again, realise I'm heading for a lampost and correct a third time and hit the brakes. I end up facing the right way, luckily there was no traffic around me, so I just carry on my way. Stop at the garage down the road to collect myself and check the car (thought I heard a scrape but it must have been the tyres squealing).

No harm done except to my confidence, I think a Don Palmer day is in order before the winter!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:48 AM

Or just be a bit more circumspect about how much right foot to give it when you've got the wheels turned.......
Old 05-25-2004, 01:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neil.H
so I decide to provoke my S into putting her tail out.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:37 AM

Don't provoke - persuade!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 03:42 AM

I agree with the above!! A sharp stab of acceleration can provide slightly unexpected results!!

I only ever provoke in (empty) supermarket car parks for practice!!

Edd
Old 05-25-2004, 04:05 AM

I'm going to sound like an old duffer here.....but I don't provoke, persuade or otherwise cajole the back to 'step' sideways anywhere public these days.
This is despite having spent several thousands on car control courses, race schools and racing.
Once a car is going sideways, no matter how good you are (or, more often think you are) you have very little control of what happens next - You can't steer when sliding, you can't stop very easily when sliding and you definitely look like an arse to 99% of the people who see you do it on the road. You can steer the S2000 on the throttle, and it is possible to go sideways easily if you know what you're doing, but that doesn't mean to say it's a good idea. EVO magazine writers don't really drive like they say they do - they're journalists, they get paid to embellish....

The reputation the S2000 has for leaving roads via hedgerows is entirely down to people either driving the car wrongly and losing control, or who think that the public road is the place to try out their (often non-existant) car control skills.
Go on an airfield day, have a lot of fun in an environment where your attempts can go spectacularly wrong and no-one will suffer the consequences, not even you.

The recent powerslide thread worrys me in many respects, not least of which is that a lot of the accounts are so obviously bullshitters trying to sound like 'heros'. There are some people with excellent car control skills, two that spring to mind are Rich Ralston and the SilverVTEC bloke (sorry, can't remember your name but you went sideways round Donington), but equally I have seen a greater number of accidents waiting to happen at meets and events. This kind of thread encourages driving which most are simply not capable of.

This isn't meant to be an attack on you Neil, we are all tempted to get the car sideways - I just wonder how many of us can sort it out when it all goes wrong, and how many of us just think we can.......

OK, flame suit on.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big cahunas Mark

Old 05-25-2004, 04:11 AM

I know Ced, I know......
Old 05-25-2004, 04:12 AM

Mark I'd agree with what you have said there. I am looking forward to my first academy day to have a lot of fun with the car sideways.

Only because its the place (I believe) to do it. I'm the first to put my hands up and admit I have played with putting her sideways on the odd empty roundabout but I realised it's only a matter of time before I cock it right up. Much more interested in the airfield / big open space place to play than suburbia.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Mark I totally agree with you.

I recently spoke to Rich and Burnie (the silvervtec bloke after a meet where there was quite a bit of sideways action.

I KNOW those guys can do it, I've been on the track with Rich and experienced his driving first hand, and Burnie is very skilled too, so it wasnt them i had an issue with at the meet, it was others immitating, and on occasion badly.

People, don't TRY to make the car go sideways on public roads, do it in a safe, controlled environment to learn what the car is capable of. It goes faster forwards than sideways anyway

Be safe

Quick Reply: Had my first scare this morning