S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Handling issues after winter work (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/handling-issues-after-winter-work-1187127/)

bluepurple 08-06-2018 06:58 AM

Handling issues after winter work

I have owned my S2K for coming up to 18 months and embarked on a bit of work to get the car operating to its full potential. The tyres were shot, the brakes sticking and the bushes seized.

Work carried out to date:

Front brakes rebuilt with pistons and seals
New discs and pads all round
4 new tyres (Goodyear Eagle ASY 3) (balanced and 31 PSI)
Replacement Mugen front compliance bushes replaced (seized)
New ARB droplinks all round
Replacement lower ball joint
4 wheel laser alignment carried out by highly regarded firm Black Boots in Chesham

After a thousand miles the grip feels good on the whole, but i notice a wobble sensation when taking long sweeping bends, like the back is gaining and losing grip. It feels as though the car is squirming - is this normal?

Its my first RWD car, but i was expecting the car to be far more planted and stable, and only letting go when i chuck it about.

Some of the things that have crossed my mind are:

1 - Compliance bushes incorrectly oriented (there is a tiny arrow, cant recall which way this was pointing, but will check)
2 - Sticking caliper (no excessive heat, scoring, pulling to one side, but will check pads for uneven wear)
3 - Replacement balljoint (i seem to recall the second hand replacement was slightly different to that on the other side, (Prefacelift perhaps?) although the dimensions appear the same) Replacing both sides would have been preferable
4 - Are the tyres the limiting factor? (Always thought Goodyear ASM 3s were a decent option. They are XL variant, realise the stronger side wall is preferable)
5 - Alignment issues (is it cheeky to go back to the tyre place? Also, 1hr away) I will upload the alignment sheet for comment.

Any comments appreciated!

lovegroova 08-06-2018 07:31 AM

Tyres are the most likely cause, lots of people don't like the Eagles as they have soft sidewalls (XL doesn't mean they are stiffer). Those that do generally run a higher pressure than the recommended 32psi. Try pumping them up a bit as the cheapest fix.

BenRNBP 08-06-2018 07:46 AM

As soon as I got to the Goodyear Eagle ASY 3 in your list, I knew what you were going to say! I had the same feeling with mine - 34psi sorted it out a bit, but now I have Michelin PS4s - no sign of the "soft slide" feel from the rears

bluepurple 08-06-2018 08:08 AM

Great, will give em some more air!

Such an odd sensation and not very confidence inspiring.

unclefester 08-06-2018 08:18 AM

Do also double check the rear lower tie arm bushes aren't worn - probably tyres as said above but worth double checking to be sure.

Stevo071077 08-06-2018 01:08 PM

Agree with all above, Asymmetric 3's give exactly the feeling you mentioned. I keep mine for drifting since I found out how garbage they are.

Shame, because the Assymetric 2's were pretty good.

Nick Graves 08-07-2018 01:46 AM

Even the AD08Rs tend to threepenny bit slightly in sweepers.

Perhaps PS4s are the answer.

The King 08-07-2018 02:38 AM

Apparently the subframe bolts can loosen up sometimes. Wouldn't hurt to check them also.

bluepurple 08-07-2018 05:12 AM

Checked the pressure and they had dropped significantly over the space of a few months.

Put the rears up 34PSI and instantly felt miles better.

Something i will make sure i check for more frequently - although finding a decent tyre pump is a whole other story...

Nick Graves 08-08-2018 12:09 AM

I use a 240v one from Ring Automotive.

Far quicker and no overheated fag lighter sockets/blown fuses.