UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Head Gasket Replacement Advice Please

Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sent you a message.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Community Organizer

Hello,

I will agree with Trunkz. Skimming the head before fitting the new headgasket for me is a compulsory job if you want to do it right. Insulating the headgasket with a Hondata lets say will help the IAT's just very little. But as it's not metal headgasket it must be torqued carefully not to fail. Also do not forget to torque the headbolts with the sequence order is on the honda manual. This is very important. And last i strongly suggest you after doing 200-300 miles to open the head cover and check the head bolts if they need retorque. After the engine does couple of heatcycles they might need to be retorqued

Chris
Old 12-16-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for the tips.

The gasket hasn't blown, so I don't think it needs a skim. There is just a tiny weep from the chain case due to some gasket damage caused by some other work. Surely a skim isn't required every time a head is removed and refitted?

I will be taking great care over the torquing sequences, don't worry. I did a lot of reading last night!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you add up the cost of removing the head and replacing the headgasket surely an extra £30-50 for a headskim is justification for doing it? I've never refitted an aluminium head without having had it skimmed first.

Also not wanting to piss on anyones parade but you will not get a better headgasket than the OEM Honda one, you don't need the extra compression of a two layer and if you did then just get the head planed and still go about using the OEM gasket.

I still also think the manifold gaskets are more hassle than they are worth, especially with the hassle involved in removing the manifold in the future if there is a problem.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 AM

Would the skim involve removing valves, guides etc? If so, I'd be more tempted to buy a straight edge and measure the warpage before deciding to skim.

Fair comment on gaskets, I think I'll be staying OEM. Seen too many 'faff' stories in my brief Internet trawl to warrant going away from Honda kit.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:07 AM

Well I got started and I'm making progress. Got the exhaust side done yesterday and I've done most of the intake side this morning.

What a faff the intake side is! I think I've got all the electrics unplugged and unfastened (although the brackets between the engine and bulkhead are a pain to see, so I'm not sure if I've got the all yet).

I've got all the required hoses disconnected, including the bolts on the water outlet. The bottom bolt is a pain!

I've loosened the upper manifold bolts, but how the hell do you get to the lower manifold bolts?! Any tips?!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 AM

Right, got to 4 out of 5 of them using a long extension and a UJ for two of them. Main issue getting to the one closest to the bulkhead is that the coolant sensor connector won't come off, the little bugger. It's one of those with a rubber boot, through which you're supposed to magically feel the little plastic tab to push down, whilst simultaneously pulling the plug away from the sensor, all with one hand in the tight space next to the bulkhead!

I'd have sacrificed 0.5% of the 50/50 weight distribution for half an inch more room to be honest!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 AM

Finally managed to get to the offending bolt by using a 1/4 inch drive extension to get myself a bit more angle on the bolt past the sensor. Intake manifold is now off! Just hope I can get it all back together! Think I'll be counting connectors and hoses to make sure I get them all plugged back together without missing one.

Next, the cams, rockers and head...
Old 12-21-2014, 02:22 AM

Glad you've got the intake unbolted. Yes, some of the fixings are a pain. You can see why I recommend actually getting it all out of the way. (The other S2000 bolts that can be a royal pain include starter motor bolts and propshaft bolts...).

If the head surface cleans off fine and is straight no need to skim. I would wait until you have the head off and make the decision then - if there is anything suspect, then skim. Otherwise, don't.

-Brian.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Turtle
Glad you've got the intake unbolted. Yes, some of the fixings are a pain. You can see why I recommend actually getting it all out of the way.
Yep, definitely, thanks. It became pretty obvious once I got into it. Stretching into the middle of the engine bay is no place to be lifting things heavier than they need to be!

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Replacement Advice Please