UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Head Gasket Replacement Advice Please

Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
The damage was that the front portion of the gasket (the bit that covers the top edge of the chain case) had been broken off and the gap filled with sealant. So not surprising that it leaked after a while!
Struggling to see what you mean. Head gasket butts up against the chain cover. Head cover gasket goes over the top edge of the chain cover. Those are whole different kettles of fish when it comes to repair. Since you've gone as far as taking the head off it sounds like head gasket but just can't visualise what you mean (and I do know my way around engines very well)

Edit: ok think I see what you mean. Confusing myself with mental image of a similar engine
Old 01-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Head gasket sits between the bottom of the head and tops of the block and chain case. The front portion of the head gasket is sandwiched between the chain case (top edge) and cylinder head (front portion of bottom face). This part of the head gasket is basically non existent after the bodge job.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 PM

Thankfully, it's not under any pressure, just there to seal against oil 'splash' within the chain case. Your point about strain due to temperature changes through the 3 parts (block, head, case) causing movement and leaks is a fair one though.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:40 PM

That was my point ( someone else is getting confused )
I know, I spent 5 years investigating oil leaks on an engine of a similar configuration which is why my mental image was wrong
Old 01-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by fluffyninja
Just seen this after a busy xmas/new year.
Can you post a pic of the gasket damage? I'm interested to see the damage from a chain replacement.
I know a significant cause of leaking can be poor cleanliness during build rebuild and the head block chain cover joint has high thermal loading meaning stress as the three parts move relative to one another. This exagerates the problem
Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 PM

Your comment, my bad...! Edited. And slept now... :-)
Old 01-11-2015, 01:34 PM

Took my time cleaning it all up over the last week in the evenings. When I looked, there was barely any carbon, and most of it softened up just after sitting with a little WD40 on it, which I'd sprayed to keep rust at bay whilst it sat in the garage. Today, I did the final mating surface clean and refitted the timing chain case plus the head with new gasket. Takes a fair bit of effort (or a long breaker bar) to get those cylinder head bolts done up to torque!
Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Replacement Advice Please-forumrunner_20150111_223256.png  
Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 PM

Fitted my new baffled sump too, so no more worrying about the sticky tyres. Although I should probably have waited until I'd refitted the cam idler gear. I'm bound to drop the washer into the chain case!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 AM

Given that I'm supercharging in the summer, I've decided to change the clutch whilst the manifolds are off, as there seems to be some access problems for the transmission case bolts which require a fair bit of the same disassembly as I've done for the cylinder head removal. Firstly, I need a clutch, bearings, 600mm axle stands, and a way of getting the car high enough for the axle stands! Maybe time for a new trolley jack...
Old 11-15-2017, 09:32 AM

Thanks for this right up as today we have taken the head of and waiting for my mate the engineer to have a butchers defo head gasket 2 and 3 cylinder was water tracking across to each other plus water in the vlves plus the carbon has mostly gone due to water treatment..

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Replacement Advice Please