Headlight Restoration - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Headlight Restoration

Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Headlight Restoration

Well I had tried the usual simple solutions to try and remove the haze from my headlights. You know, T-Cut, toothpaste etc. Never seemed to make much of a difference, so I decided to take the plunge and do it properly. I used the 3M kit - this one:
3M Kit 3M Kit

I watched a few video's on YouTube, and they were pretty frightening, but I decided to give it a go.

The initial stages are the worst - I decided to wet sand all the stages, but stage 1 and 2 you can do dry if you want. Stage 1 is 500 grade:

Then 800 grade:

Then 3000 grade:

And then rubbing compound. This is the bit where you see the final result:

It took me a couple of hours, but it was well worth it.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:41 PM

Just as long as you are aware you will need to keep doing it - the UV protective coat is now gone from the plastic and it will haze over again. I probably do mine 3 or 4 times a year to keep them nice.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:34 PM

Has anyone tried anything like this: https://hbc-system.com/en-gb/product...ective-coating to apply a new UV protective coat?

There's also a DIY idea which sounds mildly terrifying here: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...lant-idea.html
Old 05-05-2018, 11:58 PM

Use a ceramic wheel coating to seal, such a Gyeon rim as needs a uvprotective coat.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:50 AM

Yup, I have to do mine again and again, I'm tempted to get aftermarket headlights but i've got other things planned first.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Just as long as you are aware you will need to keep doing it - the UV protective coat is now gone from the plastic and it will haze over again. I probably do mine 3 or 4 times a year to keep them nice.
Yes, I realise this. The car is going to the bodyshop to get the wheelarches sorted, so I'll ask them to clearcoat the lenses at the same time.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Just use a really good wax with a high UV resistance. The best I know of is 3M Marine Protective Wax. I've used it a lot on boats and it used to have the highest UV resistance of all. It works fine on the headlights.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:25 AM

You can avoid doing it multiple times, I followed this guys instructions on a previous car, only ever did it once.

The Following User Says Thank You to SuperHamz For This Useful Post:
Fellblade (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
You can avoid doing it multiple times, I followed this guys instructions on a previous car, only ever did it once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM
Looks good. I think I'll pay B&Q a visit for this.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM
Well, that looks like a pretty solid method. SuperHamz, did you use the clearcoat that he specified, as I can't find that precise one in the UK? Otherwise sold, going to get me the required bits together to tackle the next weekend it's dry

Quick Reply: Headlight Restoration

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands