UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cross Member Cover?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Cross Member Cover?

Afternoon All,

So seems a lot of group buy feelers going up currently, so thought I would add my own following some ideas I have been discussing with my local metal fabricator.

Im looking to have a cross member cover made in brushed stainless.
Covers to be made from 304 DP1 stainless steel. There is also an option for bright stainless, but this will depend on amount of people I get interested.

Maximum price should be no more than £45.
Before I go back to my supplier and negotiate final price, I want to gauge interest.

Once I have enough interest confirmed, I will speak to moderators and set up a group buy.
Please post below if you are interested.

Mods: this is NOT a group buy, and only to gauge interest and numbers before setting up group buy.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cover does nothing and needs no strength. It does not have to be SS which is on the expensive side. I made one out of aluminum, which is corrosion resistant, easy to work with, cheap and light. You can barely see the cross-member. I sprayed my mine to more or less match the car with a rattle can. If someone wants one it is just too easy to make it yourself. Good luck with your idea but I do not think you have enough interest to turn a profit.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:43 AM

Agree the area is not very visible when you have the standard airbox, but very visible with aftermarket, especially long arm inductions.
As for Aluminium, will still show signs of corrosion after time unless painted / coated.

Understand they are not for everyone, but I will be having one made for myself and thought I would open the offer to anyone else who might also be interested.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine made out of aluminium by a mate. 2 separate plates, with the space under the K&N guard. The one on the left extends down towards the bumper in an L shape and the big one goes under the catch can and with a lip on the engine side to stop it moving. 2 bolts through the plates and tapped into the beam itself. LOVE IT, hated the look with just the beam! £20

Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

All of £2 worth of stainless , mines 316 BA chemically polished 1.2mm , but then get our fabricators are using literally tonnes of the stuff.

It's currently around £140 for a 2400 x 1200 sheet depending on the nickel surcharge.mso bare This in mind when you negotiate.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:35 PM

I've had a quote for a single cover, and can reduce cost by nearly half if the order is big enough. Unfortunately it is not just the raw material cost, it is set-up cost, which is why a single cover is more expensive than bulk buy.
Im not trying to make money from this and become rich! I have stated a max price of £45 as that is what I was quoted for low quantities. Once I have a rough estimate of how many people interested, then I can negotiate with supplier for an all in price.

Please can I ask people only post if they are interested. I am not interested to see what your brace cover looks like, how much your buddy charged for one, what a better material would be.....etc..
Old 05-05-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure someone has already got these and cooling plates made up/being made up as we speak and going to offer a group buy.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:54 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake89
I'm pretty sure someone has already got these and cooling plates made up/being made up as we speak and going to offer a group buy.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...-cross-covers/ - a fair bit more expensive, though.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harryhendo
I got mine made out of aluminium by a mate. 2 separate plates, with the space under the K&N guard. The one on the left extends down towards the bumper in an L shape and the big one goes under the catch can and with a lip on the engine side to stop it moving. 2 bolts through the plates and tapped into the beam itself. LOVE IT, hated the look with just the beam! £20

nice
Old 05-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tangoray
Originally Posted by harryhendo' timestamp='1462370372' post='23956645

nice
Personally think this look a little too "fast and furious".

Shadow providing its a simple clean design I'm interested. I would be happier with brushed rather than polished

Quick Reply: Cross Member Cover?