UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Heated Convex Side Mirrors?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heated Convex Side Mirrors?

I'm getting fed up of the blind spot from the drivers side side mirror, and I see convex versions are readily available on the bay (link here - very cheap!) - however, I can't work out whether these would remove the heater element or not? Can anyone shed any light on how the heating works - is it integral to the glass? If so, anyone know of a heated convex mirror?
Cheers
Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Found this picture in the on line manual-

the manual talks about the mirror holder, the part at the back of the mirror that clips onto the motor plate in the body, it doesn't show if the heater element is stuck to the mirror or if it's part of the holder, I suspect it is as you don't get an element pattern on the mirror when it's heating. But it would be a brave man who try's to separate the two to find out! Looks like the wire to the heater is shown next to the black arrow. There isn't much info as it's listed as a supplemental part.

Text that goes with the diagram
Take care not to scratch the mirror.
  • Wear gloves to remove and install the mirror holder.
  1. Carefully pull out the bottom edge of the mirror holder (A) by hand.
  1. Separate the mirror holder from the actuator (B) by slowly pulling them apart. If equipped, disconnect the mirror deffoger connector (C).
  1. Reattach the hooks (D) of the mirror holder to the actuator, then position the mirror holder on the actuator. Carefully push the clip (E) portions of the mirror holder until the mirror holder locks into place.
  1. Check the actuator operation.

I guess you are going to have to be very brave to find out as it looks like the mirror is just stick on. Unless someone comes along who has had to replace the mirror and has more info.
    Good luck!

Last edited by richmc; 02-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Found this picture in the on line manual-

the manual talks about the mirror holder, the part at the back of the mirror that clips onto the motor plate in the body, it doesn't show if the heater element is stuck to the mirror or if it's part of the holder, I suspect it is as you don't get an element pattern on the mirror when it's heating. But it would be a brave man who try's to separate the two to find out! Looks like the wire to the heater is shown next to the black arrow. There isn't much info as it's listed as a supplemental part.

Text that goes with the diagram
Take care not to scratch the mirror.
  • Wear gloves to remove and install the mirror holder.
  1. Carefully pull out the bottom edge of the mirror holder (A) by hand.
  1. Separate the mirror holder from the actuator (B) by slowly pulling them apart. If equipped, disconnect the mirror deffoger connector (C).
  1. Reattach the hooks (D) of the mirror holder to the actuator, then position the mirror holder on the actuator. Carefully push the clip (E) portions of the mirror holder until the mirror holder locks into place.
  1. Check the actuator operation.

I guess you are going to have to be very brave to find out as it looks like the mirror is just stick on. Unless someone comes along who has had to replace the mirror and has more info.
    Good luck!
Thanks, that’s a good start! Maybe I’ll see if I can find a used glass with backing on eBay and try and remove it rather than risking mine.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Could try the old favourite for removing stuck on bits, the hairdryer, but I guess it would be difficult to heat the whole of the glass without cracking it.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I fitted the blue convex mirrors. Was too concerned about breaking the OEM lenses so just stuck them on top of them. Surprisingly they still heat up and while giving more of a field of vision, the blue colouring cuts down on headlight dazzle very well. A smart upgrade
Old 02-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

If side mirrors are set properly (if you see the side of the car in them, they are not set properly) there is pretty much zero need for convex mirrors. When I taught teen driving schools, kids (and their parents usually) were amazed when they learned this

You can add mirror heaters though. Their are various options. However, the s2k gets driven April through Oct mainly so I have never cared on this car.

Some have fitted motorcycle grip heaters into side mirrors abd say it works well. Some companies make universal kits for it.