UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HEL braided lines POS?

Old 02-23-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HEL braided lines POS?

Hi. I've finally got round to fitting my refurbished rear calipers (did them myself, a pita, not doing that again lol unless I have a shot blaster maybe) and HEL braided lines today.

The HEL lines don't fit properly.

As you can see, if you curve it towards the caliper (like OEM, and what common sense tells you), they don't fit.
[attachment=91526:00000001.jpg]
(btw I know there should be another washer but I removed it to make the photo clearer)

OEM on the other side just to show:
[attachment=91535:00000001.jpg]

This is a comparison of OEM and HEL:
[attachment=91536:00000001.jpg]
The radius is too tight, and the solid pipe is too short.

This is what I resorted to doing:
[attachment=91537:00000001.jpg]

In my opinion that is too tight. Have any of you had a similar experience with these? I've contacted Tegiwa where I bought them, and they said if I send them back, they'll make the solid pipe longer. It's a massive hassle to change the lines. Will I die if I leave it?
Attached Thumbnails HEL braided lines POS?-00000001.jpg   HEL braided lines POS?-00000001.jpg   HEL braided lines POS?-00000001.jpg   HEL braided lines POS?-00000001.jpg  
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the HEL brake lines fitted to mine by TGM last year, they did mention that it was difficult to resolve the fitment. I've heard other HEL users mention the same.

When I had another aftermarket (can't remember the brand) brake line fitted to my last S, the solution wasn't as tidy then as OEM either.

So whilst nobody's going to indemnify a job you've done by suggesting it's safe, you're not alone in having concerns about these hoses.

I prefer to let someone who's seen a lot of S2ks work on my car.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something I'm glad I've read.
I took my car to ABP Motorsport a few years back & asked them to service the vehicle & fit some purple Do Luck lines that I bought off a website called Sumo Power.
Anyway, when I came to pick up the car, they said that the rear lines wouldn't fit.
1st question I said is..."did you but the rear ones on the front?"
They said they were different so I've just lived with only having the front ones on.
Weird that suppliers don't make the exact fitting things.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be 50/50 as to whether or not they fit your car. I researched a lot before buying these a year ago or so and from memory they'd modified the design of late. Mine fit fine and we're pretty simple to fit.

Don't have many pictures but I'll post up what I've got none-the-less in case it helps. They've been grand for a year and a half though (running super blue fluid).

Good luck with the outcome!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I understand it, HEL lines, probably like many others are made up to order by HEL agents? Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i thought this was the case?

I had some HEL lines for mine over winter and had no issues with fitment although getting the braided hose to sit in a pleasing position was a fiddle!

Maybe it's the case that some of the swept pipe fittings are being incorrectly selected for the application
Old 02-23-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TGM had similar issues with mine, the fitment was shocking.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my HEL lines about 3 years ago, fitted perfectly your upside down solution should be ok though.

Have you contacted HEL or where you got them from ?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've just ordered some through Burn! so I shall have to see if I have the same problem in a short while.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the photos Valkyrie. That's how I thought they should fit.

I think you're right RobAp1. When i contacted Tegiwa (where I bought them), they said if I return them then they'll fit a longer solid pipe section. I guess HEL just supply all the parts and then leave it to the agents to assemble the wrong pieces.

It will be interesting to see if yours have the correct pieces MattyH. (BTW I never knew a Nurburgring Blue car could look so good!)

My concern with my line being bent so tightly was that the flexible part will pop out of the solid part, but apparently that won't happen. What's more possible is that the outside radius of the bent flexible hose will spring a leak, but that's also unlikely.

I think I'm going to leave it and keep an eye out for fatigue.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto I agree, mine didn't fit well either I had to grind the caliper.

Needless to say I won't be buying any HEL piece of shit ever again.

Quick Reply: HEL braided lines POS?