UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build

Old 11-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you fit a bigger SC that shifts more air than the engine can take then restrict the infeed so it flows just enough at max rpm, basically you platau the boost curve, a fan has a max output at a certain rpm after that it starts to flow less again small volume fans have a narrow profile so the RPM range is narrow around max flow, big fans (wide) tend to produce less max pressure but over a much broader rpm range
the water kit allows more flex on ignition timming as it cools the charge and stops pre ignition
Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Boab01,Nov 19 2010, 09:36 PM
About time we saw a UK race prepped S2000. I like this thread a lot so far.

I looked into doing it a few years ago (2002), the chassis was so heavy I realised it would be a very costly exercise to get the weight low enough to offset the lack of real power increase that was likely to be gained (I wanted to keep it 2ltr n/a to keep in eligible for more race series, at the time no-one seemed to get any provable gains over stock).

A guy from this site (called Foz I seem to remember) spent a small fortune with (IMO) the wrong people to get a standard car a few kgs lighter and a standard engine to one with the same power but with throttle bodies and a lot of unnecessary internal work. It wasn't successful and he put it up for sale shortly after.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes, it looks an altogether more professional job although personally I'd have liked to see it without the blower, but I can understand why you'd go for it.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by cyber gook,Nov 23 2010, 08:04 PM
With regard to power I was only going off the graphs the Richard posted on the TTS website and what I had discussed with him.

It would seem from these that the higher the engine can rev the more power it will make as the SC is driven off the crank. Especially if the water meth kit is used to increase the boost even more making more power up top. Surely if you wanted mid range punch and to move your power band and peak torque down, this idea is better suited to the way a turbo makes its power?

How do you shift the peak power on torque down in the revs if you use a SC out of interest?
Throwing out every other factor, the higher an engine can rev, the more power it will make.

What you find with Turbos is that once they are spooled, they will work at a constant RPM (of the turbo, not the engine) no matter what the engine speed.

The idea with this is that you can balance boost with ultimate load and attain a very flexible engine

So, lets say at 3000rpm, your turbo spools to 100,000rpm.

This is it's peak efficiency and it is also where you want the most boost because with the engine rpm low, rotational stresses are also low meaning you can run a high level of boost to compensate for the low per unit time 4 stroke process.

As Engine RPM builds, the boost is then wound off as rotational stresses increase, however the turbo will remain spinning at 100,000 rpm, but the wastegate opens progressively earlier to prevent the engine being overstressed.

Theoretically, the turboboost changes, but it's flow should remain the same.

Obviously, this DOESN'T happen due to cam profiling, but that is the aim.

The result of this is that, again theoretically, you attain maximum power over a large %age of the engines rev range.

A supercharger cannot perform this constant rpm trick, but it can be geared for an omptimum engine rpm range meaning that as long as you know your operating rev range and gear appropriately, you can have your lag free cake and eat it
Old 11-24-2010, 02:35 PM

hi everyone this is Nick @ Nickson Motorsport LTD, and we are carrying out the shell work and maybe more on this car for HEL performance.

Its great to see the car is generating a good amount of interest, its looking to turn out to be an awsome spec car and we are glad to be a part of the build.

First thing to do when the shell arrived was to fabricate some brackets to allow us to mount the bodyshell on the rollover jig. we did this and the shell is mounted perfectly on its centre of gravity so it can be easily rotated by one person.

once the shell was mounted we set to work with the horrid task of prepping the shell for seam welding. this entails approx 10 hours of scraping undeseal off every seam. once this was done every seam is sanded up with a belt sander so that welding can comence.

the picture above posted by hel showed the seam welding in progress and i noticed someone said that there was not that much seam welding on the shell. the seam welding on the underside and engine bay is now complete, and i can assure you there is plenty of welding here. Although i must say honda have done some mig seam welds in stuctural areas such as the strut tops and a few other areas which you dont often see.
pics to come very soon.

the seam welding has taken 24 hours in total to complete including prep of the shell. so is no easy task.

we now just need to clean up some soot marks on the inside of the shell from the welding, and then we will do a small amount of seam welding on the inside of the shell.

once this is complete we can then start the next few jobs which hel have asked us to carry out including the full fabrication of a custom multipoint weld in rollcage.

we are looking forward to the next stage of the fabrication process now the seam welding is nearly complete, keep checking the thread for updates and pics of the work.

thanks
Nick Jackson
Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus,Nov 24 2010, 06:56 PM
Theoretically, the turboboost changes, but it's flow should remain the same.
Don't you mean the opposite?

Boost pressure should remain constant, but flow should increase with revs.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Thats what I thought happened in reality too. Or at least what you try and achieve. When on boost a constant level maintained while engine revs increase exhaust flow and turbo spool.

Nick it looks like you guys are doing a great job of prepping the car. PM me with some details on what this full job with the cage will cost. Cheers!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:40 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is not Hel's car and I hope they don't mind me posting here, but I thought people might be interested to see a similar project

Nearly 8kg of underseal

Chris.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:05 PM

Subscribed for sure!! L*CON Race cars is also currently doing an S2000. HEL his chassis w/ windshield weighed in at 614 before Louie started cutting and removing everything. hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris what's the story behind the car you have posted pictures of?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Interesting so far, more pics.

Quick Reply: HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build