UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and introduction

Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Hi James, in the south west eh?. That makes at least three of us now! (I lie a few more than three). If there's two owners on the book, It shouldn't be hard to trace the one who was/is on here, if you are buying private it's either him or the guy he bought it from, Dealer would have the details of who the got it from and could ask the last owner for you.
What bit of the SW are you in? Mabey an experenced member could give it a look over for you.

A good read through the FAQ would be useful.
I'm from Sherborne in Dorset, well my friends Dad actually has an S2000 so I've been popping over to them for some advice etc.

Originally Posted by RevRanger
I'd except at that age (1999) it will have some seized bushes, unless they have already been done or the car is a JDM (import).
Well perhaps I shall just have to accept the cost when I come to a geometry set up when its needed??
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If buying from a Honda dealer insist on a 4 wheel alignment prior to purchase.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM
If buying from a Honda dealer insist on a 4 wheel alignment prior to purchase.

Unfortunately its not from a Honda Dealers...Although its some things I could ask for them to carry out prior to the purchase.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't, as it could run into over a grand depending on how many need replacing. Plus they need to be replaced in pairs so if one is seized then the opposite will need doing regardless.

For example I replaced 6 including the compliance bushes and for parts and labour it cost about £800 add on top of that the geometry set up at Centre Gravity at £199.

If you're spending 7k on a 1999 I'd want to make sure that none of the bushes are seized!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi James

The car "was not" a demonstator. Honda Uk wouldn't let dealers have demo's due to waiting lists. I was always asked to take my car in so customer could see one befor they ordered. The car in question was in the show room all winter at another small dealer as the owner wouldn't drive it until the weather was better. If you telephone Looker Nottingham (was Chatsworth Honda)they may be able to give some history.

Dave
Old 03-17-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by hazdjc
Hi James

The car "was not" a demonstator. Honda Uk wouldn't let dealers have demo's due to waiting lists. I was always asked to take my car in so customer could see one befor they ordered. The car in question was in the show room all winter at another small dealer as the owner wouldn't drive it until the weather was better. If you telephone Looker Nottingham (was Chatsworth Honda)they may be able to give some history.

Dave
Many thanks Dave, How do you know about the car out of interest?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be worth noting that the Compliance bushes are a bitch to get hold of... or they were 1.5 years ago!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:40 AM

I had order'd my first S2 in early 1999. I had not seen one when I placed my order. It just so happened Nov 99 I had to confirm my colour choice Red, Black or Silverstone and ORR arrived at Chatsworth so went down to look at it. I did originally order Red but when I saw Silverstone, I changed my colour to Silverstone. It was around Nottingham for a while but then it disappered. I don't think the origanal owner kept it for long as I think he was hoping to make money on it because of short supply.

Dave
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 AM

Hi James

Some 3 months warranties arn't worth the paper their printed on, make sure you read the small print. Some only cover repairs up to 300 or 400 and if the bushes are seized you may still have to find the balance.

I came unstuck with this, Bought a mint 2001 eighteen months ago, Silverstone, Red Black Interior, No scratches, dents or stone chips, good hood, all leather good. Paid £6995.00

Took it to TGM's Fleet for a service, told all but 1 bush seized, so that's £1200.00 to put right, unfortunately that was 4 months after purchase so I could,nt claim anyway.
Luckily the geo is well within tolerance. So bushes can wait till I get the money.

S2000's are great to drive, on the right road with the hood down you cant beat it.

Oh and by the way my daily(ish) driver is a Cupra too, there is absolutely no comparison. Off VTEC your LCR will spank the S2000 and keep up with it even when it's on VTEC.

For me its not about outright speed, its the hood down days in the summer when you will really appreciate the S

Have fun

Kevin
Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC57
Luckily the geo is well within tolerance. So bushes can wait till I get the money.
Even Honda refused to fix seized bushes under warranty if the geo was within tolerance. I would suspect with a 3rd party warranty you would have very little chance of getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: Hello and introduction