UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and introduction

Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've just glass'd this for you and it values at £5400. so its way overpriced, if they wont budge on the price, ask them to show you their proof why they think its worth £7k. they'll probably try and tell you the private plate is worth £1600 (it isnt), if they do say that though, tell them to take it off and lower the price accordingly
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by MAC57
Oh and by the way my daily(ish) driver is a Cupra too, there is absolutely no comparison. Off VTEC your LCR will spank the S2000 and keep up with it even when it's on VTEC.

I am by no means an expert and have never driver a Cupra R but this doesn't sound exactly true especially when you look at the figures quoted for a LCR. Any facts to back this up? Id expect a close (ish) run thing but the S to slowly pull away in a straight drag. Or am I talking crap?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC57
Luckily the geo is well within tolerance. So bushes can wait till I get the money.

This may be controversial, and I await the ensuing brouhaha, but... There is a lot made of the geo/bushes issue on here, and, if your car handles like an ocean liner on iced jelly, then you need to get it looked at ASAP. But, if the geo is within tolerance, and the car drives straight and true, your tyre wear is acceptable and you're happy, the bushes can stay seized until you have the money to fix the issue. All of mine are seized, and have been for over a year, but they had the good grace to seize in a spot on position

That notwithstanding, if I was going to buy an S, I would want to know that the bushes were free, or get a corresponding discount to fix the problem.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the OP is willing to pay £7k for the car then it is worth £7k...not what the glasses guide says.

Glasses cannot realistically take into account condition, it may well be immaculate and worth every penny. Is certainly low mileage for age.

As for asking the garage the justify the price? good luck with that....why should they try and justify the price to anyone? If that is what they want for the car and think they can achieve that, then that is up to them. They may have it on the court for 6 months, or it may shift in 6 days. It is worth what it sells for, not what a book says.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toully
I am by no means an expert and have never driver a Cupra R but this doesn't sound exactly true especially when you look at the figures quoted for a LCR. Any facts to back this up? Id expect a close (ish) run thing but the S to slowly pull away in a straight drag. Or am I talking crap?
Hi Toully

James's LCR is remapped to 250BHP , almost the same as the S. Therefore on a straight road there will be hardly any difference between the two. I agree on the twisty bits the S is quicker than the LCR which just understeers around corners on the limit or is it me running out of talent?.

For me the S is far far better on the right road, but based on outright performance alone there is not a lot of difference.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 AM

Hey James

I just bought an very tidy 1999 JDM S2000 in Silverstone with 78,000 on the clock about 2 weeks ago - I paid £4400 with 6months tax, 1year mot, new tyres, clutch, windscreen, roof, spotless alloys and almost a full service history.

£2600 is quite a lot to pay just to have 30,000 less on the clock IMO – there are some incredible deals out there and as some people have mentioned, dealer warranties are usually more hassle than they are worth.

If I was you I’d find an honest private seller and get someone to check the car out thoroughly first – you can even pay for the AA to do it for you. You can then use the rest of the money for all those extras you will want to buy.

Best of luck mate
James
Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081
if the OP is willing to pay £7k for the car then it is worth £7k...not what the glasses guide says.

Glasses cannot realistically take into account condition, it may well be immaculate and worth every penny. Is certainly low mileage for age.

As for asking the garage the justify the price? good luck with that....why should they try and justify the price to anyone? If that is what they want for the car and think they can achieve that, then that is up to them. They may have it on the court for 6 months, or it may shift in 6 days. It is worth what it sells for, not what a book says.
sorry but you're wrong, just because someone is willing to pay £7k for a car, doesnt mean its worth £7k. why pay £1600 more than it's worth? garages must see you coming a mile off

glass's guide gives a price assuming its in good condition (if it wasnt, then it would be worth less than book price) and taking into account its mileage. i've always taken an experian car data report with me when buying cars, garages can't argue about the price if you're holding a valuation (they base their prices on glass's too so in theory they should be the same). i'd always question a car being overpriced (why wouldnt you?!), thats usually when the garage gets their glass's book out and show what it books at. if you go into a deal without knowing the value of the car then you might aswell throw your money away.

the OP asked if the car was fairly priced, i'm telling him its overpriced (just as others have said), if a car's overpriced and the garage wont budge, walk away. there are plenty of cars about.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Well all, I am picking the car up on saturday all being well, with

A new 12 months MOT, with all advisories carried out
6 months tax
Full service oil changes etc
3 months warranty
and a geo to be carried out too.

I happy with the price I managed to get it down to, plus the the above to be carried out also.

Thanks for all your help so far guys, its been much appreciated. Hopeful we will have some good weather at the weekend, and I will be taking it easy!

My Leon Cupra R hit 250bhp on the rolling road, but the boost was cut off due to heat soak, with decent fans people have seen 270bhp on the rolling road. On the standard turbo the LCR will see 300bhp easily (stage 2 with exhaust, front mounted intercooler, induction kit and stage 2 remap). To be honest the leon feels faster, than the s2000 did on the test drive, although I was being careful, but again its a different type of power, the leon with the revo stage 1 remap was very aggressive, the power would just hit you (after the lag). I love the Leon to bits, and have had it for over 2 and a half years, I just fancied something a bit different for the summer and as the last hoarier if you will before I settle down and get something the runs on the devils fuel. I know all you guys would love to be able to spend £400 and gain an extra 50bhp, and that was the beauty of the 1.8 turbo engines on VAG cars, well in-fact most turbo engines.I had put different suspension on the leon with a couple of extra bits and it is handling well, albeit a bit crashy...If your interested see my readers ride below...

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203164

Thanks again
Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Came here from a Leon Cupra Tdi with a few fiddles here and there, also have a mate with an LCR running just over 360bhp - it's a savage savage beast and bloody quick.

240bhp N/a feels different because the power delivery is different but when you look down at the speedo, there's not that much in it.

You can spend 300 pounds on driver tuition and run rings around an LCR and still have 100 pounds left for fuel.

What you will love is the sound of the car with the roof down - there is very little on the road this side of silly money that goes, feels and sounds like it
Old 03-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Im 23 also, plus in the SW (Wells.) Looking to get my first S in the next couple months, how much you looking at for insurance?

Quick Reply: Hello and introduction