UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and introduction

Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome James, there's a lot of people with great advice here, so I'll just post a message to say hello.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I used to work for seat, and have driven many a cupra R, and I reckon if it's revo'd and driven properly it could probably [I]just[\I] have a standard S.

Not if not revo'd though, and certainly not round the twisties, too much german bulk masquerading as Spanish flair :-)

Nice cars though, and great A3/golf alternative :-)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by MAC57
Hi Toully

James's LCR is remapped to 250BHP , almost the same as the S. Therefore on a straight road there will be hardly any difference between the two. I agree on the twisty bits the S is quicker than the LCR which just understeers around corners on the limit or is it me running out of talent?.

For me the S is far far better on the right road, but based on outright performance alone there is not a lot of difference.

Cheers
Kevin

I can understand a remapped LCR giving a good account of itself. It wasn't how I read the post though, it seemed to me to say that a stock S2000 against a stock LCR would be even in a straight race. I just thought it would be close but the S would edge it. The bit that raised my eyebrow was the claim that the S would be SPANKED off VTEC! Thats what I was really querying as I cant see the point of the statement. Who would race an S2k and not use VTEC??

Both fast cars though and completely different animals. For the record, this isnt a dig at anyone, I am just bored at work and fancy a good old fashioned debate!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry but you're wrong, just because someone is willing to pay £7k for a car, doesnt mean its worth £7k. why pay £1600 more than it's worth? garages must see you coming a mile off

glass's guide gives a price assuming its in good condition (if it wasnt, then it would be worth less than book price) and taking into account its mileage. i've always taken an experian car data report with me when buying cars, garages can't argue about the price if you're holding a valuation (they base their prices on glass's too so in theory they should be the same). i'd always question a car being overpriced (why wouldnt you?!), thats usually when the garage gets their glass's book out and show what it books at. if you go into a deal without knowing the value of the car then you might aswell throw your money away.

the OP asked if the car was fairly priced, i'm telling him its overpriced (just as others have said), if a car's overpriced and the garage wont budge, walk away. there are plenty of cars about.
In your opinion I am wrong.

I'd be interested to know what the OP settled on, as I am sure it is nearer to the asking price than your book price. There are as you say cars around for the book price you state and below, however as I have not (and assume neither have you) seen the car, can I give a fair value. If the OP is happy with his purchase and it's £7k's worth to him, then that is what that particular car is worth.

I do not walk around a forecourt with a glass' guide either, as i look at cars that i feel offer value for money from the ad, if i think it is overprices, i wont go and look and tell the guy it is way overpriced because a book tells me so. I use common sense from what i understand of the market at the time. Market forces drive prices, not books, they are merely guides.

You can buy my S for £20k if you like....

As to the OP, good luck with car and enjoy it! Nice time to buy readt for spring / summer.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 AM

The key word is Guide, Phil, and as you suggest, research and awareness of the market is valuable. A couple of years ago many dealers effectively threw Glass's away because cars were fetching much less than it stated (in fact second hand prices for some cars were falling so fast that the guides couldn't keep up. The market is somewhat more stable now.

You will find that prices for less common cars will show a greater variance from those listed in Glass's so a good one will fetch significantly more than the guide price (equally a poor one will suffer) because as we all know, good, unmodified early examples are becoming rarer and rarer. We're not talking Ford Foci (focusses?) here where there are dozens and dozens to chose from...

I hope the OP is happy with his purchase and enjoys years of trouble free motoring. And the car was worth whatever he paid for it... when they come to sell it it will be worth whatever the next buyer is prepared to pay...
Old 03-18-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Toully
I can understand a remapped LCR giving a good account of itself. It wasn't how I read the post though, it seemed to me to say that a stock S2000 against a stock LCR would be even in a straight race. I just thought it would be close but the S would edge it. The bit that raised my eyebrow was the claim that the S would be SPANKED off VTEC! Thats what I was really querying as I cant see the point of the statement. Who would race an S2k and not use VTEC??

Both fast cars though and completely different animals. For the record, this isnt a dig at anyone, I am just bored at work and fancy a good old fashioned debate!
I'm bored at work too

Yes your right in a race you would use VTEC, however, I have been caught once or twice in the wrong gear, by the time I've changed down to 2nd gear the car in front has pulled away and you spend a great deal of time and distance catching up.

Now I dont profess to be any sort of expert, but I do drive both the cars and in outright performance there is very little in it, I was just trying to inform James to not expect the S to be that much faster.

P.S, I'm off to Panta Sod on Sunday weather permitting with my son in his remapped Cupra MK11 (313 BHP). Now I know that I will totally 'SPANKED'
Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome....
Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by MAC57
I'm bored at work too

Yes your right in a race you would use VTEC, however, I have been caught once or twice in the wrong gear, by the time I've changed down to 2nd gear the car in front has pulled away and you spend a great deal of time and distance catching up.

Now I dont profess to be any sort of expert, but I do drive both the cars and in outright performance there is very little in it, I was just trying to inform James to not expect the S to be that much faster.

P.S, I'm off to Panta Sod on Sunday weather permitting with my son in his remapped Cupra MK11 (313 BHP). Now I know that I will totally 'SPANKED'

I am a little envious of those who mod their car, do track days etc. I dont have the time, knowledge, money or the skill to guarantee the car will remain intact!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 AM

I see I have opened up a can of worms here, and its was my first thread too...ha

I have just spent the morning de-modifying the Leon, a little bit heart breaking...although I can sell the parts and put the money towards the s2000. But the plan is mainly to keep to standard-ish...OEM+ if you like. I know the time will come where the itch to hear more of the engine will come and I will have to get an exhaust.

That is why I put in my first that the two cars are not really comparable, there two different types of cars... The Leon is a great family/hot hatch huge boot, lots of room with a vast amount of potential power and torque and I personally feel that they are nicer than the golf GTI, S3 and octavia. Equipment with the brembros too (although discs are very expensive!).

Unclefester, I can remember seeing you and your s2000 on the seatcupra.net.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 AM

Good work, enjoy the car!

There are plenty of cans of worms around that just need a little help opening...all good fun!