UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Helms Manual

Old 08-27-2001, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bmarshall
Steve_the_greek - do you have any other brake problems?
-Brian.
I don't believe it's a bias problem as the car feels (and felt at the time) perfectly balanced. I had no fade (not been on a track where I could get to much more than 100 though), and I've not had any issues with warping discs.

My problem was more a question of heat - the pads disintegrated due to me staying out on the track for about 20-25 minutes, and overly hot road pads don't last long on the track. The front's didn't have the problem - that was why I suggested that you shouldn't ignore the rears when talking about ducting. Although the rears will do a lot less work, they aren't vented, and are smaller, so perhaps they get that bit hotter.

My first port of call with brakes is to get my old pads rebuilt with some 'fast road' Mintex compound as it seems a lot cheaper than buying some of the pads available in the States. When Ferrodo, Mintex et al sell them ready made, I will be much happier.

Also, rumour has it that Honda put harder compound on the press cars, and that you can get hold of those pads in Japan - but my dealer certainly can't find any reference to the part number I gave him.

With regards to using VTEC on bank holidays - some people are just jealous - I got the Vs when overtaking a car doing 25mph across the New Forest (to those who know - Bealieu Heath - where the road is straight, you can see for about 3 miles, and there are no bushes for horses to jump out from). Let them suffer in their caravan lugging diesels. Had an excellent journey down to North Devon after that - took me 5 hours to get there - never hit an A road - just what the S is made for ! For reference, the return journey took 2.5 hours on main roads.

Steve
Old 08-28-2001, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by steve_the_greek

With regards to using VTEC on bank holidays - some people are just jealous - I got the Vs when overtaking a car doing 25mph across the New Forest (to those who know - Bealieu Heath - where the road is straight, you can see for about 3 miles, and there are no bushes for horses to jump out from). Let them suffer in their caravan lugging diesels. Had an excellent journey down to North Devon after that - took me 5 hours to get there - never hit an A road - just what the S is made for ! For reference, the return journey took 2.5 hours on main roads.

There's a stretch of road near where I live. Nice and straight about 4 miles long. It's inbetween two 30's. People insist on driving at about 35mph along it. I'm used to getting V's now as I VTEC past.

The UK is becoming anti overtaking. I witnessed a very near miss the other day when a car was overtaking a long line of traffic when an on coming car appeared. The bloody caravan drivers in front all bunched up and wouldn't let him pull in (~3 cars+'vans). In the end he dropped back until I let him in. The driver looked pretty shaken. Now I don't like caravans at the best of times but that was pure madness. The drivers didn't appear to care about the mortality of others....

(I'm going to start a rant thread......)
Old 08-28-2001, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy - hate to tell you this, but at low RPM noise test levels the Mugen system is quieter than the stock system A bit different up the rev range though by all acounts...

Try this:

Mugen S2000 Technical Info

-Brian.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:12 AM

There are a lot of differences between the US and UK spec. The fuel , emission and engine are completey different. The wiring is different between RHD and LHD, I don't know if Helms covers both. There are many different options e.g. rear fog light, headlight washers, headlight leveling in the Euro model.

The official Honda Shop manual is available in the UK. This covers all models and all variations. I bought the MY2000 version last year, it was about
Old 08-28-2001, 10:46 AM

Thanks S2000RJ!
I'd asked and the answer I got was that they weren't sure if they could sell me one... I didn't push as I'd had no luck getting the UK service manual for my ITR. Even tried Honda UK with no luck...
I'll check with them tomorrow.

-Brian.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:49 AM

Well, I checked with Brindley Honda Cannock's parts department. They have one workshop manual listed for 99 onwards... at
Old 09-04-2001, 05:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
[B]Well, I checked with Brindley Honda Cannock's parts department. They have one workshop manual listed for 99 onwards... at