UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HELP! Anyone got a oil filter tightening tool in Sussex??

Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2

having measured your tool sounds right?

this is mine on oem filter
Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
Unless he didn't get the S2000 specific oil filter....

Oh my, guys, I am waaaay confused now hahaha!

I bought the OEM S2K filter from cox parts on ebay, as far as I was concerned it was the correct one.. it was blue, had the same part number on when ordered.. I just checked my purchase history.

Is there a chance I've been sent the wrong filter? It's blue, it's Honda OEM, It seems to have fitted the car fine. But it's definitely not 84mm wide, will measure when home!! The mystery continues..
Old 09-17-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

This is getting stranger all the time, that filter in the pic is from Cox

Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 AM

Your telling me mate, I've just found a photo from when I did the oil change...

The filter is definitely narrower and doesn't look as fat

I had the packaging off by then it seems God knows what it is?

Old 09-17-2018, 02:17 AM

I think I might have been sent a generic Honda filter instead of what I ordered? My god my luck with this car get worse..
Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, looks like the generic Honda filter.
Anyone know why the S2000 has its own size anyway??
The following users liked this post:
tommys2k? (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by S2Bray
Yep, looks like the generic Honda filter.
Anyone know why the S2000 has its own size anyway??
Yeah, just had it confirmed by Cox themselves, they sent me the wrong one. I just saw it was blue and had the words 'Honda' on it so assumed it was correct. Balls!!!

They are sending me out a new one.

Does this mean I now need to drain my brand new oil and replace this to be sure.. or is it OK to run the standard Honda oil filter, that's probably not even the correct size...?
Cheers
Old 09-17-2018, 03:57 AM

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me what doom I have to look forward to, but when I recently changed mine, what I removed was a that same slimmer Honda filter (as fitted by some local indy garage who I guess knew no better) and nothing disastrous happening in the 8 or 9 thousand miles it was on there.

That said, I can only assume that the larger capacity allows more oil to flow through it and therefore is better able to cope with higher pressures, which is probably a good thing in terms of engine preservation.

Last edited by S2Bray; 09-17-2018 at 04:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tommys2k? (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:09 AM

Seems this isn't the first time this has been discussed.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...-850967/page2/

Don't think I'd worry too much if I were you
Old 09-17-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I imagine you could swap the filter only losing 500ml Max of oil, it sits above the pan after all.

You can tighten it with a rag and pliers from Halfords if you don't swap
Old 09-17-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 347 Likes on 323 Posts

Just use the correct PCX one >>because 95-100 psi for an S2000
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...filter-580875/
Relatively constant highway speeds implies the engine will be running at a relatively constant RPM for a majority of it's operating cycle. Diesel engines also have a relatively narrow operating RPM as well. Additionally, the only real benefit of bypass oil filtration systems is to greatly extend the life of the oil under the conditions typically seen by this type of equipment.

Engines that see a lot of idling time (as in your example) also operate at relatively constant RPMs, which is consistent with my example.
The S2000 does not fit either of these models (unless you let your S2000 idle for hours on end). The S2000 has one of the largest RPM bands of any production automobile, and if you drive the car the way it was meant to be driven - the operation of the engine is anything but at a "constant" RPM. (BTW - for those that don't know what a bypass oil system is, it's an externally and remotely mounted (and large!) filtration system that taps off oil supply and slowly filters the oil through media as fine as 0.5-1 micron. It is incorrect to say there is no pressure loss or there is no "drag" on the system because your engine's oil pump has to also provide the force to push the oil through the much denser filter media - there is a pressure drop. How much? It depends on the vehicle's oil supply pump. High volume pump: no problem; High pressure/low volume pump: possible problem)

Once again, I don't see a problem with using a bypass filter system as long as there is not a significant drop in oil pressure across the system. This requires a little extra work on the part of the installer to measure before and after pressures at idle and through the RPM band. This is not an issue in the case of OTR or heavy duty truck equipment due to the high volume oil pumps and narrow operating RPMs seen on these types of engines. However, the S2000 uses a high pressure oil pump system to keep things separated at high RPMs, and may not put out enough volume needed to accommodate the introduction of an externally mounted bypass filter system. (Now I'll shift from the bypass oil filtration subject back to the full flow oil filter subject)
Cutting much pressure at the top end will greatly reduce the life of the S2000's engine - which is the main reason you should stick with the OEM PCX filter. It's not a good thing when a filter bypasses due to pressure. This should only happen if something is wrong with the filter - in order to keep supplying oil to the engine. In this situation, bypassed and unfiltered oil is better than NO oil, but should no means be a mode of normal operation due to the limitations of a "one size fits all" aftermarket full flow filter. Most aftermarket filters WILL bypass oil when the S2000's engine needs it the most - at high RPMs when the pressure is greatest. Additionally, it takes a few psi of force to operate the bypass mechanism in the filter itself, which means another drop in pressure at just the wrong time.
Do what you want - but going with any filter other than the PCX filter is a very bad idea. Like I said - I'm an Amsoil dealer (although I don't actively sell - I bought into it for my own use before Amsoil came out with their Preferred Customer Program and online store - in order NOT to get ripped off on price), but DO NOT use any aftermarket filter, including Amsoil oil filter

Quick Reply: HELP! Anyone got a oil filter tightening tool in Sussex??