UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HELP! Car won't turn over...no RAC Home-start!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Car won't turn over...no RAC Home-start!

Erm...HELP!

As per previous posts, alarm has been acting up, going off for no reason, even with the ultrasonics disarmed.

So, I've left it securely gated, and locked with key only since last weekend and used the 'teg (because of tappets fun-and-games as per other thread). So car has been sitting for 7 / 8 days, but not alarmed, just locked.

Go to use the S2000 this morning (as it's being looked at tomorrow morning for the tappets), and the remote fob won't unlock the car. Odd, I thought, but unlocked it with the key anyway. Key in ignition, turn to #2, press button...NOTHING! Not at all. Try pressing fob-unlock and trying again...nothing again. Repeat a couple of times, nothing.

Go inside, get spare fob and spare key.

Spare fob doesn't work.
Spare key doesn't work (although I did have the first one in my pocket still...didn't realise about the proximity thing).

Now i forgot to check if the green Immob light was coming on or not, and I'm at work now. And I've found that nice little diagram someone else posted up, but I've neither a diagnostic tool nor a voltmeter.

So...in short...is there ANYTHING I can do shy of pleading with the RAC to upgrade my membership and NOT charge me a fortune just to get it towed to a dealers?
Oh...and I've a Hondacare extended warranty, which I'm pretty sure covers the alarm/immob, not sure about 'recovery costs' though...anyone help there?!?

Thanks very much,

Martin.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Sounds like your battery is dead. I think false alarms are a symptom of a dodgy battery.

Can you get a jump start from anyone?

Hope its nothing serious
Alan
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangroa,Sep 3 2007, 07:50 AM
Sounds like your battery is dead.
I agree

That's the first thing to check

A dead battery won't even operate the door solenoids
Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 AM

Mine was exactly the same when I came back from holidays.

It was so flat that even my starter pack wouldn't get it going - it needed a jump from the beater to get it up and running.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

Martin

If the battery is original, it has to be nearing the end of its life

I think I'd buy a new one on the way home - not more than about
Old 09-03-2007, 12:11 AM

But it's only been standing a week...and as I said the dashboard and blowers lit up just fine.

Is there anyway I can confirm it's the battery? Shy of jump-starting the car (which I might just try at lunchtime...)
Old 09-03-2007, 12:25 AM

Thinking it through you could be right...and it's a simple enough thing I could have checked this morning if I'd been thinking straight.

I might just go out and get a new battery at lunch, fitting it should be straightforwards (although believe it or not I've never done one before! Brakes, plugs, leads, oil & filter, compression test. But not a battery...)

If I do get a new battery:-
- Is there anything I should know / be aware of about fitting it? Am assuming it
Old 09-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Banned

Are you getting the battery from Honda?

Reason I ask is that a Halfords job, whilst perfectly good, usually comes with the terminals the wrong way round (one is bigger than the other), making fitting impossible

Biggest risk when removing/refitting is touching the bodywork with a spanner while tightening the +ve terminal

You'll know if you've done it!

They should be sold fully charged
Old 09-03-2007, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a battery from Halfords ignore what they have on their system, get Halfords own brand HB053 instead (lifted from the FAQ's).
Old 09-03-2007, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the dash lights go out when you press the start button? Do you get any kind of click?

Sounds more to me like it's immobilised, but then I know nothing of Honda alarms.

Quick Reply: HELP! Car won't turn over...no RAC Home-start!