UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HELP! Clutch issue

Old 07-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Clutch issue

Evening all

Long time reader.. part time poster! Apologies for this being one of my first posts. But I am meant to be at Santa Pod Japshow at the weekend, and am hoping to run my S, but the clutch is being a pain, and I am hoping some kind soul on here has had the same problem.

Ok.. So here goes

Last week, noticed it was a bit difficult to engage clutch above 6K, felt like a car mat was in the way of it when changing gear. Now the problem seems to be getting worse. It is getting quite difficult to use throughout the rev range. The gears change fine when clutch is depressed. It just does not appear to like being pressed down. When engine off, there is no resistance whatsoever.

I have had the clutch fluid changed recently and has been re-bled, so I know this is not the issue.

Is my clutch on its way out, or do I need to grease the Fork as I have read on here?

(Or is it something else??!)

Your replies are very very gratefully received
Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify: you are having an issue with the clutch when being depressed?

Does it feel notchy when being depressed, is there a certain "point" when depressing that requires a little extra force to get past this "point"? leaks? noises? mileage? OEM clutch? biting point?

I would:

1st: grease slave push rod
2nd: grease fork tips which contact throw out bearing (coat hanger through slave hole
3rd: If the above doesn't work I would say throwout bearing grease was a little sparce when installed, get a new clutch and make sure everything is lubed properly.

Obviously internet advice is never solid, hope the above helps.

Mike
Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 PM

Excellent. Thank you for the reply.

It is OEM, just ticked over 91k, biting point feels normal and its at its most difficult when first engaging. Once what can only be described as a barrier is broken, its fairly easy.

Internet advise is never solid, I use it as a guideline more than anything else
Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Maybe time for a new clutch, mine was terrible at around 100k. In fact mine is still terrible, garage who did my new clutch failed to grease the inner groove on the TO bearing.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Will see tomorrow mate. Will advise garage it's going to of what to grease and hope for the best.

Why does something like this always come up when it's needed the most!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by DGowz
Will see tomorrow mate. Will advise garage it's going to of what to grease and hope for the best.

Why does something like this always come up when it's needed the most!!!
Better than the clutch shitting itself halfway up the strip.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I had to rebleed my clutch a few weeks ago I would look into that again. I appreciated you say the fluid has been recently done but having no resistance would make me think the issue lies there
As stated above its just internet advice but you state that there is excessive pedal which to me points towards the fluid/master or slave.
I gravity bled mine myself the other week on the drive after excessive pedal travel and lack of engagement and all is fine now.