UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help needed!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As MB says it just left of the centre consol in the passenger footwell.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cheers guys - just got home and found it straight away! excellent description

well it seems its a misfire :\

Had the following codes:

P0300 Random Misfire
P0301 No. 1 Cylinder Misfire
P0302 No. 2 Cylinder Misfire
P0303 No. 3 Cylinder Misfire
P0304 No. 4 Cylinder Misfire

Not sure if that means its serious or what could cause that? As i said, car seems to be running fine, starts first time every-time with little trouble (although it did feel a bit 'weak' at starting yesterday) but nothing that would've caused me concern, and the light has now gone off..
I didn't clear the codes as its probably good to leave them on at a guess.

The only thing i have noticed is that since having the lid on, and the engine being MUCH quieter - at around 6000RPM, there is a slight rattle from the engine. It sounds more like vibration more than anything - perhaps the heat shield or something - but it certainly doesn't sound 'horrible' or serious. It could just be me being over cautious and listening to sounds that have always been there..

Any thoughts? should i be worried about the misfires? the ECU only had 5 codes on it (those listed above).
Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmm, lots of misfires.

When were the valve clearances last checked?

Are your plugs ok?

It could also be the injectors being blocked, common problem on the S.

Some other hints in my signature link.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm
The valves where done on the 82K (or whatever it is) service - beginning of the year. done about 12k since then. Plugs were also changed then with the NGK Iridium ones (I believe)

Service was done at TGM and Tom mentioned that the valves were 'odd' on my car. Something silly like 12 out of the 16 were too 'tight' - apparently rare? Were easily adjusted though and the car has been sound ever since.

Injectors blocked - hmm? Wouldn't i notice some hesitate at speed if that were teh case? Sometimes pull away if put putting my foot down quickly can make it hesitate, but i've always put that down to heatsoak...

I guess i could stick some redex in there - but have heard horror stories about it, and it actually causing more problems than its worth, due to unblocking potential 'holes'(?) - so am dubious about using it. My MGF ran like horse muck after I used it last (but then again - it was a 'Rover') ^^
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM

You need a leak down test and compression test. Don't start replacing electrical parts and sensors before getting these two tests done. The engine may be bad and you could be losing compression in one or two cylinders.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM

On all four cylinders, I say change the plugs. Use the standard plugs from Honda. I've heard horror stories about iridiums breaking up and causing massive engine damage, even though I've used them in the past on other cars.

Your hesitation could well be a universal missfire if the plugs are incorrect heat rating. If they're not burning the huge dump of fuel when you floor it, it'll hesitate.

Its a cheap fix that I would try first.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this before and sorted it never came back on again (:toucheswood: ).

You need take a systematic approach, simple at first leading further into removing items etc.

1. Check the connections on the ECU, unlikely but i have seem some connections that needed sprayed with contact cleaner. Might as well check the coil pack connections too - all above a 5min job.

2. Check your spark plugs, MAP sensor whack or replace and check air filter.

3. Check the coil packs, particulary the seals and springs - i know one seal had failed, it had oil that dried caused carbon and the ecu thought there was a missfire because of arcing.

4. You can run some injector cleaner through, i think its okay to use, it could move the dirt (spec's or whatever) elsewhere or get rid which is good.

5. Compression check (make sure all cyclinder report back the same +/- 5 on each) and leak down test.

5. Change the injectors making sure you have the O rings!.

6. Could be CAT.

Are the missfire sensor/mech on the S like other cars were there not that accurate to pick exactly which cylinder has caused a misfire???

My money is on your injectors or plugs.

Good luck
Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by pistonbroke,Dec 10 2008, 10:57 PM
On all four cylinders, I say change the plugs. Use the standard plugs from Honda. I've heard horror stories about iridiums breaking up and causing massive engine damage, even though I've used them in the past on other cars.

Your hesitation could well be a universal missfire if the plugs are incorrect heat rating. If they're not burning the huge dump of fuel when you floor it, it'll hesitate.

Its a cheap fix that I would try first.
I dont think the heat rating would be much of a problem (you'd know about it ) IIRC stock is 8, I run 1 stage colder as i run a Spoon ECU amongst other things.

Most likely timing on plugs is wrong or as you say the plugs have failed.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys remember this has only occured once under the notorious cold idling conditions.
I'd leave it alone until it throws another code.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Dec 10 2008, 11:12 PM
Guys remember this has only occured once under the notorious cold idling conditions.
I'd leave it alone until it throws another code.

I would leave it alone until it happens again, i have never had any probs this winter :touchwood: however my problems were with an idling scenario too.

Quick Reply: Help needed!