UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help! Random power loss in 1st gear

Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Random power loss in 1st gear

Hi all,
This isn't the usual 'power loss/jerky map whack' problem, it's a complete mystery and I've been trying to solve it for 8+ months.

The problem: It's completely sporadic, but this is what happens:

Drive car for 10 mins +, park up, engine off.. come back to car after 5-10 mins, engine fires up OK, pull away normally in first gear and BAM.. power loss/fuel cut.. car lurches and will not give any more power. Have to dip the clutch fast.. car idles, but doesn't die.
Turn engine off, back on again and it will either a) do it again or b) be absolutely fine for the rest of a short or long journey.

A few times it did it I was in a car park, so parked up and let the engine idle, it started to idling very rough. The issue doesn't happen 'mid motoring'.. it is always after a short drive, engine off, leave 5 mins, engine back on situation.

There are no engine codes/CELs.

I've had 3 garages try to find the fault, including a very competent guy I know and trust 100%, even he can't figure it out. Honda were no help whatsoever.

So far, I've had new MAP, TPS, Crank Sensor. Fuel pump was checked too, as was the CAT.

It's absolutely frustrating, my 'good mechanic' managed to replicate the problem, but his scanning equipment didn't show any codes, he is baffled too - said the car is un-drivable when it happens - I know!!
Like I say, it's random, and might not do it for weeks, and the car purrs like a cat.

I can't live with it much longer, please help.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Main fuel relay can be a problem on some Honda,the problem a dry joint so an intermittent fault.
speed sensor
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Im having the same issue on mine but not had time to look at it yet. Its not ideal when it happens on the formation lap!!

It feels like it's fuel related to me, although changing injectors and coils didnt cure it. The fuel relay is worth a look, as is your earthing.

It will be something simple, but not easy to find!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Well looking at the combustion triangle it's unlikely to be a compression issue, which means mixture induction or ignition.

Is the car drive by wire throttle or cable?

Ignition components in good condition? Wiring to coilpacks, the coilpacks themselves (remove and shake, listen for rattles), any seal damage?

What about the plugs?

Apart from that it does sound fuel/throttle related.

The relay is a good shout, as would be pump wiring. Have you tried battery off for 10 mins? (Sorry it you have and I'd missed it)
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 AM

faulty coolant temp sensor? they normaly start to 'go' as your describing....

the coolants getting to a resonable temp, car is turned off... car 'warm' started and the ECU doesnt like the reading from the temp sensor so it dumps too much fuel in causing the boggyness.
has happened on 2 hondas I have had and its a cheap part to try before you venture in to injectors etc
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 03-27-2014, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by ADAM_ROB_UK
faulty coolant temp sensor? they normaly start to 'go' as your describing....

the coolants getting to a resonable temp, car is turned off... car 'warm' started and the ECU doesnt like the reading from the temp sensor so it dumps too much fuel in causing the boggyness.
has happened on 2 hondas I have had and its a cheap part to try before you venture in to injectors etc
Thanks..
Thing is, my issue isn't bogginess, it's more 'instant', like fuel shut down. I can rev the engine with the clutch dipped, but when I pull away in gear it happens.
If a coolant sensor, would a CEL not flag up?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

could it be vapour lock, although doesn't seem that you drive far enough to get fuel lines that hot?

uses fuel in lines until vapour gets to injectors?

just a thought.

E
Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Does it die at >3000rpm or does it happen before that?

I'm wondering if you've got a cam sensor loose at the back of the block.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Does it die at >3000rpm or does it happen before that?

I'm wondering if you've got a cam sensor loose at the back of the block.
I reckon it is at about 3000rpm, yes.
But.. if the car starts and runs OK, and the problem doesn't present itself, it will happily drive perfectly.
If it were something loose, I'd presume that the problem wouldn't happen under such specific circumstances?

Quick Reply: Help! Random power loss in 1st gear