UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help! Random power loss in 1st gear

Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine did this and it was the rear cam sensor loose in the block it's hidden at the very back on the right. It did it a few times on and off before it came out so far it just stopped. It was like hitting the rev limiter - would not rev past that under load but if you were out of gar stationary it was fine.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 AM
emc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Mine did this and it was the rear cam sensor loose in the block it's hidden at the very back on the right. It did it a few times on and off before it came out so far it just stopped. It was like hitting the rev limiter - would not rev past that under load but if you were out of gar stationary it was fine.
Sounds like Limp mode is engaging in that instance, but you would normally get a fault code when that kicks in as it's the ECU stepping in protecting the engine.

Could be any number of sensors, so start at the cheapest and easiest and work your way up. Obvious response of the day.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:02 AM

Sorry for being a dummy.. but I've had the crank sensor replaced - that's not the same as the rear cam sensor is it?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No its different. Look on the rocker cover at the back. Cable throttles have two one each side and dbw cars have one just on the exhaust side.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mattie170
No its different. Look on the rocker cover at the back. Cable throttles have two one each side and dbw cars have one just on the exhaust side.
Fantastic - thanks.

Righto.. I'm gonna get the coolant temp & rear cam sensors replaced.
Any other ideas of what it could be?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The lambda sensor gives the biggest input to the fuelling so it could be that, but normally a duff one will just run rich and affect your idle and MPG.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by europa
Originally Posted by mattie170' timestamp='1396021319' post='23085776
Fantastic - thanks.

Righto.. I'm gonna get the coolant temp & rear cam sensors replaced.
Any other ideas of what it could be?
I'd check them first rather than blindly replacing, they're not cheap from what i recall.

I still wonder if you've a duff earth or a cracked wire somewhere given how intermittent it is.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:57 AM

Ok, It's done it again... and when idling, when I rev it, it'll only go to 2000RPM and then the revs would drop down to idle, even though my foot was still pressing the gas pedal.
I did this a few times and bang on 2k rpm it stopped & dropped

Any clues?

(PS. Still haven't had coolant & rear cam sensors replaced)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 AM

Fuel supply or ignition / sensors / wiring.

Scanner + multimeter + time.

Guessing is not going to fix it.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Fuel supply or ignition / sensors / wiring.

Scanner + multimeter + time.

Guessing is not going to fix it.
It's not that I'm trying to guess what it is, but more of a self-education, and ruling out areas. I'm no mechanic, so the more info I have, the better!

I'm wondering if it could be the rear cam sensor. Reason for saying that; there is a thread on the US section where someone had a similar issue, but was permanent (wouldn't rev above 2k). Turned out to be a complex issue, but boiled down to cam positions being off/out/bad timing.

Quick Reply: Help! Random power loss in 1st gear