UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HELP! Replacement CAT1 Key Fob

Old 04-04-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Replacement CAT1 Key Fob

My immobiliser key fob desperately needs replacing. The rubber buttons are now so worn that I can find myself standing in Tesco's car park frustratingly trying to get into my car, and wishing that I had a hammer to smash the stupid key thing to pieces?

I've looked on Google and have found a genuine Honda replacement casing and rubbers set, which would have been perfect had my fob have been a standard Honda one, but it's not the same. I'm assuming that someone before me has managed to find an alternative as there is no mention of Honda on mine?

I'm currently waiting on Honda ringing me back so that I can find out the ridiculous amount of money that they'll no doubt want to solve this for me, but I'm wondering whether there's another solution. I'm sure there must be plenty of you on here who've had this very same problem? I've spoken to an auto locksmith and he reckoned that he could supply the fob for £75.00 and that it would cost in the region of £110.00 in total. I've also found a new one on an American Honda parts site for $30.00 odd, which would work out cheaper if it was simply a case of getting it programmed?

Can anyone help because I'm at a loss and I don't want to risk getting ripped off by Honda because they see a woman standing in front of them who doesn't know what she's talking about lol!

Penny x
Old 04-04-2016, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the same as my Pre-Facelift one. Any good?
Old 04-04-2016, 06:05 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

There are two kinds of fob for the older cars.

This one:

or this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/rcm/v1/HONDA-S....c100011.m1843

Both will work just fine. (The second one is the newer version).
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 AM

Hi guys, thank you so much for your replies.

My fob is the same as Lovegroova's first photo but without any of the writing. I had discovered the refurb kit on Ebay, but will the insides of my controller fit into that?

Penny xx
Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Wags and Wiggles
Hi guys, thank you so much for your replies.

My fob is the same as Lovegroova's first photo but without any of the writing. I had discovered the refurb kit on Ebay, but will the insides of my controller fit into that?

Penny xx
The old controller is bigger and uses a different battery, so it won't fit into a new one.

Contact Hamilton Palmer - see this post for details of someone else who had the same problem as you did: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/869...t__p__22984992
Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 PM

I needed to get a spare fob. I looked at eBay fob refurb kits and second hand fobs. However, just before I made a purchase, I phoned Hamilton Palmer (http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/).

They were very quick and easy to deal with. I think the new fob cost me about £45, with no postage to pay. They sent it to me straight away and also sent programming instructions.

I'd recommend giving them a call.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Wags and Wiggles
My immobiliser key fob desperately needs replacing. The rubber buttons are now so worn that I can find myself standing in Tesco's car park frustratingly trying to get into my car, and wishing that I had a hammer to smash the stupid key thing to pieces?
You could try putting the long thin bit of the key in the lock and twisting it, that will always get you into the car.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:29 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Wags and Wiggles' timestamp='1459775296' post='23927435
You could try putting the long thin bit of the key in the lock and twisting it, that will always get you into the car.
If the OP uses the key on a locked car, the alarm will go off, not great in Tescos car park

And before you suggest that she uses the key to lock it in the first place, the alarm won't be set and her insurance would therefore be invalid
Old 04-04-2016, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Wags and Wiggles' timestamp='1459775296' post='23927435
It's replies like this that can put people off asking for help on here!

This forum is for people to share ideas, experiences, get help, etc. Sarcasm is fine but as you yourself own one you'll know the alarm will go off so it's not really sarcasm, just a pointless comment.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 AM

This could be the one

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda...it-p-4784.html

Quick Reply: HELP! Replacement CAT1 Key Fob