UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

help strange problem

Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about throttle cable adjustment, as per the how to in the tech FAQ?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

Registration? That's meaningless. It's a model year 2005 car, not a 2006, or it would be DBW and the cable only goes to the DBW module, not the intake. I'm curious of the build date on the data panel on one of the door jams. Any why anyone would confuse the date something was registered with the model year. This seems to be common in UK cars but nowhere else.

-- Chuck
Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Probably our obsession with age-related plates?

My Leg End was built in 2007, but is on an 09 plate! Big-titted hit sales-wise, Leg Ends...
Old 05-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Registration? That's meaningless. It's a model year 2005 car, not a 2006, or it would be DBW and the cable only goes to the DBW module, not the intake. I'm curious of the build date on the data panel on one of the door jams. Any why anyone would confuse the date something was registered with the model year. This seems to be common in UK cars but nowhere else.

-- Chuck
Is there nothing on your plates that indicates what year the car was registered?
In the UK, unless you are in the minority that have a private plate, you would have "06" on your plate if it was registered in 2006, so to most people who aren't that into their cars, the car is a 2006, and they probably have little idea when it was built.

So Alps, do you have the higher rate tax, without the benefit of being able to use the Hondata thingy to tune it? Though I guess some would rather have the cable throttle regardless.

​​​​​​
Old 05-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Its an 06 car and cable throttle.

Done a little digging and i'm 90% sure its fuel starvation. Car is on 1/3 of a tank and only seems to do it when getting on it after a long bend or exiting a big roundabout.

Seems to be quite a common problem with the s2000 by the looks of it
Mine has never done this, ever. How aggressively are you driving it ....
Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the car is in the cheaper tax bracket because itwas registered a few weeks before the cut off date.

next time you have less than 1/4 of a tank find a really long left hander and go round it as fast as you can.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino

It's just fuel starvation I'm pretty sure of it. Going to fill the tank to the brim then try it again and see if it cures it. Pretty sure it will.
Anyone else on here having problems with the tank 1/4 full?............................................. ...... Thought not, it's not fuel starvation due to lack of fuel in the tank.
Funnily enough this is a good description of DBW fault if the car has been left standing, and it can happen after a few weeks left idle (not saying yours is isn't cable if that's what you can see).
A good old ECU reset might help.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GC84
Is there nothing on your plates that indicates what year the car was registered?
In the UK, unless you are in the minority that have a private plate, you would have "06" on your plate if it was registered in 2006, so to most people who aren't that into their cars, the car is a 2006, and they probably have little idea when it was built.

So Alps, do you have the higher rate tax, without the benefit of being able to use the Hondata thingy to tune it? Though I guess some would rather have the cable throttle regardless.

​​​​​​
The ONLY place to show when your car was registered in on the V5, that will give the exact date of first UK registration, the ONLY way to find the date of manufacture is with the VIN plate code, it's not unusual for the two to be wildly out, a car can sit in a dealers or importation yard for years let alone months.

And for info as everyone seems to forget the exact date VED went through the roof was 23rd March 2006.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

This is mostly trivia but makes a difference when referring to things like DBW, etc. Recall Honda made changes to these cars every two years -- every two model years.

Car makers seem to change model years late summer or early fall. Coincidentally like the school year. My MY06 car was built in July '06. MY07 started about a month later judging from posted VIN numbers. Digit 10 in the VIN is the model year. There's a 6 there in mine. Production date is at the top of the white VIN sticker in the door jam (port side in the USDM cars). The VIN also notes UK cars are AP1 cars (engine) regardless of face-lift status.

Assuming universal VIN codes:
1. J (manufactured, Japan)
2. H (manufacturer, Honda)
3. M (passenger car, made in Japan)
4-6. AP1/AP2 (engine)
7. 1 (coupe+manual transmission)
8. 4 (grade)
9. Check digit
10. Y, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (model year, y=2000, 1=2001, etc)
11. T, S (manufacturing plant, T=Tochigi, S=Suzuka)
12-17. Production Number

-- Chuck
Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Could the clutch delay valve be causing this? My first thought was that you have a dodgy earth that gets rattled around abit during a gearchange and then when it settles the power comes back.

You really shouldnt be suffering fuel issues on a 1/3 of a tank.

Quick Reply: help strange problem