UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

help strange problem

Old 05-09-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

unfortunately that long left hander had some s2000 oil on it.....

i've never had this but maybe it's a really long bend (this includes on track but tbf no massive left handers that i recall at 10/10ths)? the fuel pickup in on the same side as the filler, ie left for us in the UK so a left hander would push fuel to the right i guess?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update.

it is fuel starvation​​​​​​. 100%​​​​​​
went out in the car with about 1/3 tank same set of corners and exactly the same when going left it cuts out. No problems going right just when you go from hard right to left it then bogs down.

brimmed the tank and repeated 3 times. Perfect.

No need for the sarcasm rich. Maybe you just dnot go round corners very quickly?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

So what happens at position 10 if the car is 1999/2009 model?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
You really shouldnt be suffering fuel issues on a 1/3 of a tank.
Is it common with these cars to suffer fueling issues with low fuel levels?

I seemed to have a problem on the motorway last week with around 5 litres remaining in the tank. Thankfully it was about 50 meters from the exit ramp with a petrol station at the end of it.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Update.

it is fuel starvation​​​​​​. 100%​​​​​​
went out in the car with about 1/3 tank same set of corners and exactly the same when going left it cuts out. No problems going right just when you go from hard right to left it then bogs down.

brimmed the tank and repeated 3 times. Perfect.

No need for the sarcasm rich. Maybe you just dnot go round corners very quickly?
No offence meant. I've just twigged something, I drive old school and I believe correct RWD, you enter a bend or corner at the speed you intend to maintain around that bend, if you are finding yourself changing gear during the bend you have entered at the wrong speed however long the bend is. So taking the bend correctly will cure the problem. I would suggest you don't take bends in a way where you think you need to change gear during the bend in wet or cold conditions or you might have a result like Nottm posted.
There's plenty more things in the fuel feed chain, how about the fuel pump delivery being low? You will find plenty of posts from guys who regularly track and race their cars, and would fit baffled sumps to help oil pressure but never mention problems with fuel supply, it's not a common problem.

Last edited by richmc; 05-09-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I've heard of it, this is when you need MB (Max Bummer?) I think he did something to his race car but I've had a lot of beers since I read it and I'm lazy so if you care find his thread..

or or just keep her brimmed
Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

So what happens at position 10 if the car is 1999/2009 model?
I'm not that deep into the VIN trivia but there are no 1999 models I'm aware of, they're all 2000 (even those made in 1999). S2000. Get it? This is common automobile practice. 2009 models may not exist either and just be left over 2008 cars but if VINed (to make that a verb) to model year 2009 there would be a 9 in digit 10. Easy to check the VIN to see what model you have (or are looking at).

Assuming universal VIN codes:
1. J (manufactured, Japan)
2. H (manufacturer, Honda)
3. M (passenger car, made in Japan)
4-6. AP1/AP2 (engine)
7. 1 (coupe+manual transmission)
8. 4 (grade)
9. Check digit
10. Y, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (model year, y=2000, 1=2001, etc)
11. T, S (manufacturing plant, T=Tochigi, S=Suzuka)
12-17. Production Number

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 05-09-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Fuel starvation at the pump makes sense as the pump is off center to the left (port) side of the car. A left turn should slosh fuel away from the pickup. Not sure if any of these are baffled or if a baffled tank is available. The big hole is the fill. Small hole is the pump. Not far off center but off center nonetheless.

-- Chuck
Old 05-10-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
No offence meant. I've just twigged something, I drive old school and I believe correct RWD, you enter a bend or corner at the speed you intend to maintain around that bend, if you are finding yourself changing gear during the bend you have entered at the wrong speed however long the bend is. So taking the bend correctly will cure the problem. I would suggest you don't take bends in a way where you think you need to change gear during the bend in wet or cold conditions or you might have a result like Nottm posted.
There's plenty more things in the fuel feed chain, how about the fuel pump delivery being low? You will find plenty of posts from guys who regularly track and race their cars, and would fit baffled sumps to help oil pressure but never mention problems with fuel supply, it's not a common problem.
Do a forum search. There are countless posts about it and even threads where people have cut open their tanks to modify them to cure this issue.

Thanks for the hints and tips with regards to driving style but I think I will carry on the way I am going. After all my corner speed must be higher than your (sedate speed) and most others on here due to you and hardly anyone else coming across this very common issue due to a badly designed tank.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

To be fair, it mostly seems to affect the "Racing and Competition" guys rather than those using the car on the road.

I've never experienced the problem on track (including Pouhon at Spa which is a very long high speed left-hander) or on various "chucking it around cones on an airfield" days.

Maybe I'm just too slow?

Quick Reply: help strange problem