UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 12-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

【Vol.4】HKS S2000 TUNING PROJECT/スーパーチャージャーチュー ング: http://youtu.be/T-jl5kSFVPY

Here is volume4 discussing the type of supercharger choice.

It's a massive ask but if anyone knows someone who can get the videos translated into English it would be great!! As here we have stage by stage video volumes of how HKS and why HKS produced the kit as it is.

Wish i took Japanese in school now!!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread, subscribed.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be getting this in the new year as well Weaty a couple of questions, I'm currently running a J's manifold and as you've correctly mentioned; its best that somesort of heatwrap or thermal coating is applied to remove as much heatsoak as possible. Alternatively I was thinking a vented bonnet would do a better job of keeping temperatures down.

On the fuel kit that HKS sell, I'd be more inclined to go for some ID 750s with PnP harnasses and a Walbro 255 fuel pump. (Wouldnt necessarily go over 255 without changing the fuel pump power leads as outlined by SoS)
Old 12-25-2014, 01:23 AM

Hay Trunkz,

Why would you use the ID750's over the HKS supplied 800's?

TTS say they use 1000s and 340ltr pump with both kits now becuse they can... The SC TTS use is bigger than the HKS one I think, so that makes sense i guess, as the TTS SC has more power potential.

The HKS charger is rated as capable for 150-400bhp applications so well suited for a daily reliable car.

Looking at the dyno graphs HKS published it only goes up to 8k on the Rev counter so the HKS SC on the s2000 f20c engine is at its maximum limit higher up the Rev range.

The f20c loves to breath as we know, and most peak bhp figures i see are right at the top end of the Rev range on dyno charts.

I never drive the car at 7-9k for long. There was one turbo set up i saw that had peak power at like 4k and lasted right through to 7-8k... But can't remember what the set up was... But that's turbos not a daily driven SC. Lol

So it's very evident that the HKS SC is set up for smooth response and mild improved power instead of big power potential kits.

Vented bonnet yes great for a heat management solution, but ideally preventing the manifold from generating so much heat in the first place is what i wanted, rather than being reactive to the heat produced, I opted for a solution that prevented the heat from being produced. Does that make sense (proactive approach, rather than reactive approach) id love a vented bonnet though for summer only. I don't want water to get into the engine bay.

Plus it's cheaper to have your manifold zircotec coated than buying new vented bonnet with a fitting kit etc etc. And still knowing the heat is being produced.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weatyGT
With this in mind I've seen that SOS sell an in-tank Fuel Pressure Regulator (fpr). This is a Denso Honda OE unit that has been reworked to increase fuel pressure by 3-5% it's my opinion that this may help keep performamce solid through the Rev range. Higher power FI car's may use a fuel return system but that isn't really needed for a 400bhp max kit in my opinion. SoS say over 425bhp and up when a fuel return system is ideal.

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/e...ank_FPR_06-09/
Every modern fuel injection car uses a fuel return. The FPR sits on the fuel rail - 40PSI IIRC I fail to see why you wouldn't just replace the rail FPR which in turn would get you higher rail pressure meaning you wouldn't need to change the injectors at all to net you that 10% duty cycle safety limit you might want.

The OE map sensor can read upto 12psi as the HKS SC is near the limit of this an upgrade may well be nice a 3bar map sensor is available for dbw car's as a direct replacement of oe sensor. SoS advertise it as a 4bar map sensor but it's a 3 handling up to 26psi.

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/e...r/00-05_S2000/
26PSI isn't even 2 bar! My guess is that they advertise it as 4 bar because it reads negative 1 bar in addition to positive 3 bar.

There was also some talk of the ap1 over spinning the charger high up the Rev range. All I know about this is that HKS did develop the kit on the ap1 to start with, but moved to the ap2 towards the end. I don't speak Japanese so not able to translate the HKS GT Supercharger kit development video on YouTube, the lower red line.and increased cc seems to be a winner with this kit, that said lowering the ap1 red line a small bit isn't all that bad for a daily driver. The ap1 HKS used was a mark1 ap1 not the ap1 facelift we have in the UK. Im not sure if that makes any difference but i thought the later s2000 ap1 hado slightly updated internals (very springs etc etc) as well as the improved gearbox internals. It's my opinion that after all the development on the original car it gave up and died, then HKS took that opportunity to interpret the data and see if the ap2 would work even better with the kit. Search for the YouTube video if you can it's a good watch, ill try and post a link.
After talking with Blue Monster, we decided to knock 750rpm off the rev limit so that it cuts in at 8500. Just an extra safety stop and 450bhp is enough. The A1A box had better synchros which doesn't mean anything in terms of power. Spring retainers were upgraded on the newer engine, but again this is a rev issue and not a power issue.

I think it's good HKS uses denso and Honda also use them so this shows attention to reliability as much as performance.

The kit is designed for car's with Air con, I have removed mine so Si is sourcing the correct length belt for me, and it shouldn't be much of an issue.

As with any increase in performance come the need for more cooling, while no upgrading is required as the s2000 is well equipped for this anyway I've opted for a mishimoto triple core rad and supporting parts of spoon thermostat and spoon fan switch just to be happy with the heat management, incase i decide track the car later on. As I say not needed but good for peace of mind.
The thermostat is a silly item. Who cares if it opens at 75ºC! The OEM one is fine. Again, fan switch is also a bit daft. The engine will take care of itself as it does unmodded. Fair enough with teh Rad if you think you need it, but you have just negated that handling advantage you were bleating on about earlier

Hay Trunkz,

Why would you use the ID750's over the HKS supplied 800's?

TTS say they use 1000s and 340ltr pump with both kits now becuse they can... The SC TTS use is bigger than the HKS one I think, so that makes sense i guess, as the TTS SC has more power potential.

The HKS charger is rated as capable for 150-400bhp applications so well suited for a daily reliable car.

Looking at the dyno graphs HKS published it only goes up to 8k on the Rev counter so the HKS SC on the s2000 f20c engine is at its maximum limit higher up the Rev range.

The f20c loves to breath as we know, and most peak bhp figures i see are right at the top end of the Rev range on dyno charts.

I never drive the car at 7-9k for long. There was one turbo set up i saw that had peak power at like 4k and lasted right through to 7-8k... But can't remember what the set up was... But that's turbos not a daily driven SC. Lol

So it's very evident that the HKS SC is set up for smooth response and mild improved power instead of big power potential kits.

Vented bonnet yes great for a heat management solution, but ideally preventing the manifold from generating so much heat in the first place is what i wanted, rather than being reactive to the heat produced, I opted for a solution that prevented the heat from being produced. Does that make sense (proactive approach, rather than reactive approach) id love a vented bonnet though for summer only. I don't want water to get into the engine bay.

Plus it's cheaper to have your manifold zircotec coated than buying new vented bonnet with a fitting kit etc etc. And still knowing the heat is being produced.
SCs will make linear power with revs until you get to a point where the impeller design can't cope and stalls. I can't believe that they'd nerf the last 1k of rev range by fitting a weedy charger.

It's all about getting the airflow through your bonnet. The S2000 has a pretty crap design on that IMO. Bonnet venting is a big win here. Water will get into your engine bay from underneath anyway. This isn't a problem.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:02 AM

Reason for going with IDs is two-fold. They're rather well regarded around these parts, and you can pick up a set for a smidge under £350 from the US. A walbro pump sets you back £80 from here, so you've already saved over £300
Old 12-25-2014, 05:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with ron on this one.

I ran an fpr with stock injectors at 9psi above this is was getting towards silly pressure however it was an rrfpr.

The stock radiator is pretty good and a lower opening thermostat is a waste of time, cars have an optimal operating temperature so you'll just effect power and fuel consumption. I've upgraded mine with a thicker core unit for solid temperature.

Agree on vented bonnet even though I really didn't want to fit one.

I can't see the point of cutting the Rev range it's sacrilege and got blower will still make good power all the way to and past red line.

FYI I'm sure 07 cars plus run a returnless fuel system which unfortunately creates a power ceiling which I've seen with my own eyes circa 450 bhp.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:24 AM

Some good info cheers guys,

Regarding the FPR which ones do you suggest using on the fuel rail fpr? And what's your opinion on the fueling for 2007+ car's that have this returnless fuel system?

Do you mean I've negated the handling advantage because the rad holds more fluid so is heavier? Or because I've removed the aircon making it lighter? Or because the two are not equal in cancelling eachother out?

My stock rad wasn't up to much and needed replacing anyway. The Spoon thermostat and fan switch aren't doing it any harm. Alot of traffic where I am so it's all good imo.

Who is Ron? Ultranexus?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Community Organizer

Yes, Ron is Ultra_Nexus :-)
Old 12-25-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Weaty worth having a full read through this thread

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/970...harger+install

Great thread and has made me lean more towards the SOS kit than the HKS one.

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic